How can I put dual monitors on my new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSmoove05, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Hey all been looking to add 2 24 led monitors to my current iMac. How does this even work and what do I need to do this? I have been looking but couldn't find anything.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

If you have a 27" you will have two video outputs.

If you have a 21.5" you only have one video output so you will have to either use a USB video device (slow) or a Matrox DualHead to connect two monitors to one input

3. simsaladimbamba

Use the two Thunderbolts ports with Mini DisplayPorts to DVI or DisplayPort adapters/cables. Monoprice offers such quite cheap.

----------

The 2012 iMacs (the current ones, the OP seems to have one of) have two TB ports on the 21.5" and 27" model.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There are thunderbolt adapters available, it just depends on the inputs on the other monitors.

5. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi yes I have a 27" iMac I can just use thunderbolt cables ? Is this the best way to connect it and also how can I the monitors to stand upright instead of side ways.

6. simsaladimbamba

No, unless you get Thunderbolt capable displays. Those cables also cost more (49 USD per cable) than a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI or DisplayPort cable/adapter (can be had for 20 and less USD each via MonoPrice).
    The digital way is the way to go, unless you refer to Thunderbolt cables, in which case again, you need Thunderbolt capable displays.

If you mean, if you can rotate an the image that is displayed on a rotated display, yes you can, unless you mean something else.
    [​IMG]