How can I put my map 13inch to sleep when closing the lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leaf., Dec 2, 2016.

1. Leaf. macrumors member

What the title says...Whenever I put down the lid it does not automatically go to sleep

2. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

How do you know it's not sleeping? And are there apps keeping it open?

If you check Activity Monitor on the Energy tab there is a column called Preventing Sleep. Any say "Yes"?

3. Leaf. thread starter macrumors member

I feel like its not sleeping, because when I open the lid it does not require me to enter my password/finger print etc.

I just checked they all say no or -

4. jerryk macrumors 68040

On a mac you can set a time after a sleep or screen saver starts that a password is required.

Go to System preferences | Security & Privacy. There is an option that reads "Require password xxx after sleep or screen saver begins". Set xxx to "immediately" or another value.

Your system is sleeping. You just need to tell it when you want to require password entry.

5. Leaf. thread starter macrumors member

Aha! I'll give that a try - I think that will definitely tell me whether when I put the screen down if its definitely sleeping or not.

Also, if it is sleeping is it okay to keep it in a backpack while travelling to/from work - i.e. would it damage anything/cause any problems in comparison to switching off completely?

6. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Fine to leave it sleeping. I do it all the time. It actually takes a whole load of juice to run through the startup routines vs letting it sleep. For 24 or 36 hours I'd just let it sleep. More than that and I might shutdown completely.

7. jerryk macrumors 68040

I leave mine sleeping every day when I go back and forth. So far, no issues.

8. Leaf. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - it worked!