How can I read/write on to my external hard-drive i.e. NTFS formatted?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joshis1, Dec 1, 2014.

1. joshis1 macrumors newbie

Earlier, I was Windows user. Thus, I have all my back up on the NTFS formatted hard-drive.
    I have two hard-drives - Western Digital - MY Passport - NTFS formatted - has a micro-usb - when I pluggin this hard-drive, I can view the contents on the finder. However, I cannot create any folders on to my hard-drive. How can I solve this- how can I have read/write support? Another question - I have another hard-drive NTFS formatted - instead of micro-usb , it has mini -usb - the one most of the camcoders had. This hard-drive is not even detected by the Mavericks. I can't see this hard-drive on the finder. What can I do here? The same hard-disk when plugged in the Microsoft works great. What shall I do to solve this issue?

2. CaptainWD macrumors newbie

CaptainWD

Hey joshis1,

NTFS (New Technology File System) is used on Windows OS and is only read on Mac OS X. You cannot write on drives that are formatted as NTFS on Mac computers. You should use HFS+ or FAT32. Do have in mind that if you format your drive, you will lose all data on it. Here's a bit more info on File Systems: http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems
    I would suggest backing up all your data and then formatting your drives so you can use them under Mac.

Captain_WD.

3. mtasquared macrumors regular

mtasquared

Hi guys,

You can write to NTFS drives directly from Mac OSX if you install a driver to do so. I use a driver called NTFS 3G from Tuxera, which you can find here. There are others, such as by Paragon. Both are administered from their own panes under System Preferences. Just be aware that with the Tuxera driver for example the speed is quite reduced, in my case about 6 MB/s.

Don't know about the mini-USB drive not being detected. What kind of mac do you have? You might try resetting the pram.