Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
California
I haven't used a mac regularly since my Apple II plus in 1980. I have a new MB. It bothers me that in firefox or safari, a whole small segment of the top of the browser window has nothing but the colored buttons. Seems like a waste of vertical space when you are trying to get the most of a 13 inch screen. Is there some way to move those around or make them share a line with the address bar or something, like in can in Windows?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I haven't used a mac regularly since my Apple II plus in 1980. I have a new MB. It bothers me that in firefox or safari, a whole small segment of the top of the browser window has nothing but the colored buttons. Seems like a waste of vertical space when you are trying to get the most of a 13 inch screen. Is there some way to move those around or make them share a line with the address bar or something, like in can in Windows?

No, you cannot move those since they control the window operations and are part of the border. They have to stay where they are.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
why would you want to? how else would you control the window or even know what it is, as the titles are displayed there as well.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
California
It's not that I would eliminate them, I would assign them a position that wasted less space in my open window. I'm used to firefox for windows which has a much more customizable interface.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's not that I would eliminate them, I would assign them a position that wasted less space in my open window. I'm used to firefox for windows which has a much more customizable interface.

Ok first of all, if you relocate the buttons. there is no space difference. Take safari for example. If I removed the buttons, I still have that same space used by the title of the web page. Trust me, just turn the dock to auto-hide. It saves about 10X the space than the little buttons do. Much less hassle, since the space occupied by the buttons is used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.