How can I record the screen with the ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nicklaus, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

Does anybody know how I could record the mirrored output of the iPad? I would like to make instructional videos of apps.

I would in a perfect world like to be able to hook it into my iMac in some way and also have it record where on the screen I tap or move my finger as I narrate with a usb microphone. I wouldn't have to have audio from ipad out but it would be nice if I could capture the audio from the ipad at the same time.

I assume the new HDMI adapter would be involved. But have no idea how to get video into my iMac or New Macbook Air other than thru firewire.

Thank you guys and gals for your help! :)

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You may not like this answer, but it would probably be simpler to take a screenshot of every step. Drop these into whatever video editing timescale you are using, and do a sort of "stop motion animation" to create the illusion that its happening in real time.

This actually has a couple of advantages: Its going to be a lot easier to use a painting or drawing program to indicate where your finger taps are. And you probably don't have to buy any additional hardware or software.

On the downside, typing into text boxes is going to mean a lot of screen shots....;)

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Using the component cables it might be possible to capture using a Hauppauge HD PVR.
    [​IMG]

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

But the component cables wont mirror as far as I know, just the same video output the iPad 1 had. I think? I have a hauppage and would buy the component if it could do so.

There are plenty of capture devices that take hdmi, the problem is that a lot of hdmi sources (ps3, cable tv) are encrypted and won't work properly. I do not know if the iPad's hdmi output is encrypted.

edit: I found a mention of component working.. im confused though. Basically ignore me, but its possible one way or another.

5. Nicklaus thread starter macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

If the component adapter now allows mirroring then I could just feed that into my DV camcorder and send it to my mac via firewire.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

By the by, most of the screen videos you see during presentations and ads are actually recorded on a Mac, using the iPad emulator tool that is part of the Developer SDK.

7. Arto65 macrumors newbie

8. ZenFire macrumors newbie

Camcorder use -- Nickalus

Hi, can you explain how to use my video camera as the intermediate link between my iPad2 and Macbook Pro? I'm using Brushes and Sketchbook Pro for iPad2, and want to present on stage with iPad2 connected wireless (or wired if I have to) while images go up on a bigger tv or projector in real time, and then also to the MacBook Pro in real time to record in iMovie, for edit, burn, post soon after the program. Outside of programs I want to have the iPad2 art import to iMovie to edit the brush strokes and make a painting assemble over time (2-6 minutes) as I explain the process in audio dub, and post. Any suggestions as to how are greatly appreciated. Z

9. Canukhd macrumors newbie

Display Recorder

If you don't mind jailbreaking your iPad you can use Display Recorder (on Cydia); It can record a video of whatever is on the screen. The video can then be downloaded to you PC/Mac for editing. We have used it to do some guided tours of our application. As far as I know Jailbreaking is still legal (although I believe the exemption is about to expire)

Cheers
    Canukhd