How can I recover data from "irreadible" cd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enialis, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Enialis macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am fairly new to the mac world and after 5 months I still find few difficulties when it comes to tips and programs.

My question as appears from the topic is that I have a certain cd with some photos, now when I insert it to my drive it can't be read... After a while Disk Utility will display a generic disk01 name for the cd. I can not read or do anything with the cd (even the eject key from my keyboard wont work, I eject the cd from DU and this takes a little while). From the details of DU when I try to mount the cd says that it has some kind of file system problem. This cd was written in a windows vista laptop so I figured out what the heck it may be some incompatibility... so I went to my neighbor that also has vista laptop (and even the same brand with the one that wrote the cd) and even in his laptop the cd was unreadable...
    Does anyone know if I could do anything with this cd to recover the data in it? any programs?
    (the data has to be there cause when i spoke with the guy that wrote the cd he told me that it was perfectly read in 2 machines)

Thanks in advance

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I'd say the data is damaged due to possible CD burning problems (bad dye on the recordable CD, etc.). You could always take it back to the person who made it for you and see if his drive can read the CD. If so, copy the data to a 1GB USB drive and burn it on your Mac with some good quality CDR media (TDK, RiDATA, etc.)

3. Enialis thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah this is prety impossible because this person is in fact in another country and the cd was sent to me by mail (i forgot to mention it). I suspect also heat damage but the cd looks perfect from the outside... moreover the guy that burned the cd told me that it played to his pc and to another as i said above...

4. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Well I don't know what to tell you. If he still has the data on his computer (it wouldn't make sense to me that you would send him the data and he would burn a CD and send it back to you, so my guess is that it's a one-way transfer) then have him upload it to MediaFire or some place where you can download it.