How can I reduce the motion sensor's sensitivity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Aug 23, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Been having this clicking sound on my 13"MBP lately. I was told it might be the motion sensor being too sensitive. Anybody know how to reduce this sensitivity?

Thanks.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If it is in fact the hard drive, you don't want to slow down the sensitivity as this helps protect your hard drive from failing. Although I don't think it's the hard drive that you're hearing.

3. ccashman92 macrumors regular

This the sound? Turn your volume up!!

Here is a tutorial on how to remove the piece that is causing the noise. Remember to use anti-static precautions!

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm aware of that. The thing is that it seems the 13" model does NOT have that removable black metal piece...

5. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Really? I did not know that. Guess you really do learn something new every day.

Hmm, another guy on the forums is having this issue and I'm trying to help him out. Are you sure that piece isn't there? Have you checked yourself?

EDIT: I just looked at a picture and you are correct. I don't know what else it could be though.

6. ccashman92 macrumors regular

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

My MBP is only over a month old or so. What are the chances it is actually the hard drive? (the entire MBP is supposed to be COMPLETELY quiet right?)

8. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Other than the fans, or any spinning noise. But the fans should be silent on default settings.

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, took my MBP to Best Buy's Geek Squad, the diagnose took less than a minute. I was told that it was perfectly normal for the MBP to make sounds once in a while. And that it could be a combination of motion sensor, hard drive, some gyro spinning, plus some drive fragmentation taking place over time.

10. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

It's the motion sensor. It's just very sensitive on the MBP's. There's instructions in Apple's support section on how to disable it pretty easily through Terminal, but you might as well leave it on since it is a feature that protects your computer.

It might be a good idea to disable it briefly though so you can determine for sure if that's the noise you're hearing.

12. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I sure hope so. Sometimes I hear this click even though I'm not really moving the MBP. But I guess it's normal, since my MBP is new.

13. erasr macrumors 6502

Yeah it is annoying but it must be normal considering the amount of people who hear it. I hear it and my MBP is perfect etc.

One way I look at it is that the only time it happens is when you move the MBP...but really the thing is should you be actually moving it around when it's on? I kind of think Apple expect it to be on a table at least, I don't think any computers are healthy being moved around a lot whilst on.