How can I reference my original files in itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fstigre, Jan 7, 2010.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

I'm deleting all of my files from itunes to start fresh since right now it is unorganized, the problem with this is that when I first installed itunes it searched my hard drive and added sounds that I don't know where they came from, in fact some of them look like from the operating system, so I'm afraid to delete something that a program or the actual OS needs (since I don't know if these are just copies or are the originals).

Is there a way to know if the original of a certain file exists?

In other words I need to know if what I have in iTunes is a copy or the only file in the hard drive (original) and if it is a copy I would like to know where it came from or somehow find the original.

Thanks a lot!

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

With the file in iTunes selected, press Command-R, and it will show you the file it is referencing. That way, you'll know which one iTunes is picking up. Very useful for duplicates.

You can always just delete everything from your library, but opt not to move the files to the trash. Then you can drag/import the files you want in your library.

3. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Hmm, it looks like this only shows you the file in finder.

Thanks a lot!

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Do you have "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checked in Preferences > Advanced?

5. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

That means that iTunes has copied all the files to your music folder. So what I'd do is select all the tracks in iTunes, right click and click delete, and then click don't move to trash. Then go to your Music folder and move all the files in there to a folder on your desktop or somewhere. Then just drag the files you want back in iTunes into iTunes. Once done, you can delete the folder on your desktop because iTunes will have copied everything back to your music folder.

Hope that made sense!

EDIT: Or, you could just delete the files you don't want from in iTunes and click move to trash lol. It won't delete them from the system.

7. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre