How can i reformat my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanh58, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ryanh58 macrumors newbie

I just bought a used mac and want to wipe all the prevouis user's info/files without losing any programs. Is that possible on a mac?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Open system preferences - Accounts - +

Make sure this user has admin privlidges. Then Log out of the current account and log into the one you just created. The go to system preferences - accounts and select the old account and press "-".

3. Velmonk macrumors newbie

i'm trying to do the same thing but i can't do anything without the system password. is there any way around this?

4. KFOG macrumors newbie

KFOG

Im am selling my mac, and I want to clear my HD before I sell. Is this the best/safest way to go? thanks

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

RyanH58-
    What xUKHCx said SHOULD work.

Velmonk-
    You can reset the main user password if you have a Tiger or Leopard bootable DVD. Just boot to the disk (press down "C" at startup) and use the utilities menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen once it's booted to the disk.

KFOG-
    If you want to completely kill your disk, as I said to Velmonk, boot to an OS X install CD, and launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and follow the instructions listed here (ignoring the chart at the top) for secure erasing a drive.

If it's individual files you're looking to erase, then you can simply put them in the trash, then from the FINDER menu at the top press Finder > Secure empty trash

Good luck.

6. ryanh58 thread starter macrumors newbie

UKHC- the current already has the admin account, how can i delete that?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You should be able to delete it through the method described.

Can you outline what you have done and what isn't working?