Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shehanigans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I have a MacBook pro and I would like to be able to shut down a Windows 7 computer connected to the same wifi. Please be detailed. Thanks

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You mean shut it down like it’s just up and running (and you currently don’t have access to the machine)?

... or do you mean you want to have remote access (so you can shut it down, reboot, access the system/console like you’re sitting at the machine), and you can currently access/install/config remote access on the Winders© machine?

shehanigans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
You mean shut it down like it’s just up and running (and you currently don’t have access to the machine)?

... or do you mean you want to have remote access (so you can shut it down, reboot, access the system/console like you’re sitting at the machine), and you can currently access/install/config remote access on the Winders© machine?

Yes, it is up and running and I want to be able to shut it down.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ok I will play. So if both machines are on the same wifi why can't you physically shut it down? And second question, why do you want to shut it off.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
have an account with remote access rights on the windows box

install Cygwin on the windows box.

This gets you ssh ability as its not supported on windows natively. You want SSH NOT telnet. Telnet is not secure. You can skip this step and use telnet but its a very bad idea. Of importance to you is telnet passes passwords in plaint text. Never a good thing over wifi, nor wired even.

open terminal on mac type:

ssh that_account_above@IPaddress (ip address of windows box)

put in password of account when prompted

now you are ssh'd into windows box at CLI level. To shutdown:

shutdown /s

edit: or.....

download apple;s free remote desktop tool, use that account that has remote access as credentials in the app and get remote desktop up and shutdown like you would normally. Command line you will find much faster

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
edit: or.....

download apple;s free remote desktop tool, use that account that has remote access as credentials in the app and get remote desktop up and shutdown like you would normally. Command line you will find much faster

Normally when connected through Remote Desktop you don't get "Shutdown" when you click on Start then look at that menu, you only get logoff and disconnect. To shut down, you would do a CTRL-ALT-END (from a Windows computer) or CTRL-ALT-DEL (I believe, from a Mac) and from that screen click the red shutdown button in the bottom right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.