How can I remove icons from my desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Myiphone7, May 23, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

My hi-res 15 inch came today. I downloaded Firefox and Adobe Flash, and now there's an icon for each on my desktop. How do I get rid of it?

When I try to move it to a specific folder, it just makes a shortcut in the folder.

Thanks.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. Dsync macrumors member

What version of OSX are you using? I've never had this happen to me on 10.6.7

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't let me drag it into the trash. The trash can changes to an eject logo.

5. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the same one. Just to be clear, it's not the firefox world icon. It's the installation icon. I believe the same for flash.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

These are Disk Images, once you have copied the app to your applications folder you can safely eject the disk image (that's why the trash changes to an eject symbol)

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Then those are the mounted DMGs. You must install the Application prior to opening it. Once you have that icon mounted on the desktop, drag the Application to your Application Folder. Then, you can unmount the icon on the desktop by dragging it to the Trash.

8. Dsync macrumors member

AHHHHHH, very simple then. On a mac, you eject the virtual install disc to get rid of it. So go ahead and eject. It won't delete the app

9. dataParser macrumors newbie

You need to double-click the icon on the desktop. Then, in the window that comes up, you do one of two things:
    a) for Firefox, you drag the Firefox icon to the Applications folder
    b) for Flash, you double click the icon to start the installer

After the programs are installed, then you can drag the icons on the desktop to the trash. (the icons on the desktop are mounted disk images that are used for installation, not the actual programs themselves)

10. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am def. a newbie, but so far I love this Mac!!!