How can I reset my OWC SSD to factory performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macpokerstars, Dec 25, 2012.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

Hi,

I bought the OWC Mercury Extreme 3G 120 Gb a year and a half ago, and it now writes at 60 Mb/sec and reads at 70 Mb/sec, which is slower than a normal hard drive.

How do I format it so that it is reset to factory settings (and initial performance)? Do I use Disk Utility? Is secure erasing through Disk Utility bad for the SSD?

Is there an in-house program I have to use for OWC SSD’s?

I am looking to totally wipe out my hard drive and re-install the OS, so you can make me erase it all.

Thanks in advance

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Sounds like the drive has worn out, which OWC says they shouldn't do, so I would call OWC first and tell them what your write and read speeds are and see if they'll replace it for you, as they DO have a lifetime warranty.

And, actually, before you do any of that: How much free space is there on the drive? What's the capacity and how much is used? That could be it, and you could try reformatting and re-installing a fresh OS on there, but if that doesn't work, give OWC a call.

3. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have 83 Gb of free available space and I have never had less than 70 Gb of available space.

I haven't made huge amounts of erasing and writing on that disk, even though I've been using it for a year and a half.

Thanks for your help

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Do you use TRIM?

5. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Hi,
    I don't use it, because OWC SSD's already have a garbage collection feature built-in.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Garbage Collection has nothing to do with TRIM. Garbage Collection is a firmware feature and TRIM is a OS-level feature. Only the OS knows, which block in a file system is unused (if you delete a file in the OS X Finder). The SSD firmware does not know anything about HFS+, the standard OS X file system format. That is the reason why newer versions of OS X support the TRIM command.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

TRIM would still only impact write speeds. I think something is wrong with OP's SSD and he should RMA it. No way is 70Mbps read speed normal.