How can I restore and keep my contacts, notes etc...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garnish, Jun 21, 2008.

1. garnish macrumors newbie

Iphone crashed while playing music the other day and since that crash I lost sound except on headphones or speaker. I need to restore but how can I save my contacts, notes etc... My contacts no longer match my cpu's contacts so it would be an enormous loss if contacts and notes were erased.

love
    garnish

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

If jailbroken: easy - backup the files from the file system of the iphone to your mac (locations are posted in lots of places, try MMi)

If not: maybe jailbreak & do the same

hope that helps

(irrelevant note: I jus became a regular!)

3. garnish thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't jailbreak or do any hacking manipulating of the system. My sound just died.
    Hmmmmm, so syncing after a restore doesn't keep my photos, contacts and notes? that blows. Arrrrgh all those contacts are lost and have to be put in by hand unless I jailbreak? Ugh.

4. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

That's why you should be in the habit of syncing regularly, especially if you change addresses, numbers etc on the phone often. Really, people should treat syncing the same as backing up your PC/Mac.
    If it is just the speakers/sound playing up, can you not simply do a sync before you restore, then sync after? You didn't say how inoperable the phone is since it crashed, other than that I can't think of any way you can get your info back, other than by what the other guy suggested, sorry.

Edit: Just re-read your initial post,and its confusing. what exactly is wrong with your phone? You said ' I lost sound except on headphones or speakers', where else can you get sound?? Are there other problems, does the phone do everything else?

5. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

:eek:
    we are supposed to be backing up our computers nowdays?

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No, you don't have to. Your computer is magical. It will never die or lose data. Ever. :p:p

And yeah, if you haven't backed up your phone and synced it, that is really ashame and i hope you have learned your lession (not a mean thing, more of a cliché.)

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's a good thing that MobileMe's coming out =)

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

So true, which is part of the reason I have bought it (.mac right now).

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Can't you just sync with your computer?

That makes a backup, too. Not sure about the notes, but contacts, definitely.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yeah... I don't know why 10 people in this thread have overlooked the simple solution.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The original poster said that the info on his iPhone doesn't match the info on his computer.

Oh wait...I thought he no longer had the ability to sync...oh well, then I guess syncing will definitely solve it! Your contacts may be different, but when you connect and sync with iTunes, it updates everything.

12. ajpegg macrumors newbie

garnish,

I presume you have tried a soft restart? If not, press and hold the on/off button and the home button together until you see the Apple symbol. You'll lose nothing and it might just bring everything back...

If you do decide to restore my advice would be to do it through iTunes as you will save more than if you reset the iPhone.

13. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

That's all well and good (10 ppl is highly exaggerated btw) but nobody actually knows what is wrong with his phone hence why I asked for clarification, its a bit hard to give a definite resolution if you don't know the exact problem.

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

sync then restore,then re-sync.

will be fine

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I was the 9th response, so not highly exaggerated. Off by two.

He's not trying to figure out how to fix the problem, he's trying to sync his contacts. All it takes is a normal sync. Even if they don't match it will just add the contacts that are only on the phone to the computer and the ones only on the computer to the phone.

16. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

You're not counting ppl, you're counting replies, and most weren't suggestions on how to remedy it, and as I said, nobody knows the extent of the damage to his phone, if you read his opening post he is a bit vague on details...anyway...moving on.

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Well it seemed like ten! :eek:

Once you get past three I tend to get lost.

18. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I know how that feels, I'm stuck in work (since 6am) after a late night out, and don't go home till 6pm, I justant seem to wake up enough to think lol. Anyway, I'm sure the OP will figure it out.....maybe

19. garnish thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, lots of responses. Let me clarify the question and problem.
    The only problem with phone is the sound is dead. I can hear if I use headphones or turn on speaker during a phone call. So i am going to restore and than resync.
    The question is will my contacts restore after resync? I don't have my cpu contacts match my phone contacts so I am not going to sync with outlook. I am hoping all those contacts have been saved within the Itunes sync?

The other question is does syncing save all my maps, notes and photos? If not i will email notes etc...

sorry for confusion I am just not clear what the normal syncing to Itunes actually backs up.

love
    garnish

20. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Well from what you have just written, I still can't see why you can't sync before the restore, then re-sync after, since it will put any contacts/calendar dates that are on your phone to your pc (and the other way round, which doesn't matter since you are restoring).
    When you sync after the restore you will get all the contacts you had in outlook and the ones you had on your phone, you can delete the ones that came from outlook if you wish directly on the phone, then you will be where you was before. Also, unfortunately your notes will not sync (I believe?), nor will maps, I'm not totally sure about what happens with photos as I only have the iPod touch which doesnt have a camera, but with that it will only put on the photos from a folder I select in itunes, not sure what happens on an iPhone with photos you have taken, someone else may be able to help there, you could always email them to yourself anyway.
    Hope this helps.

21. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

When you click restore it will ask you if you want to Back Up your info, this handles all information.

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Sync is the not the same thing as erase. When you sync with Outlook, it should ask you whether you want to merge the information. That way, your contacts on both your iPhone and computer should be the same.

23. moedizzle macrumors newbie

I have my phone jailbroken and don't mind if I lose all the info...I can just re-jailbreak.
    My question on this is...
    If I sync but do not back-up (because backing up has proven to take hours upon end and haven't had the patience or time to lose my phone for hours upon end to backing up) will it still save all of my phone numbers? I have about 170 phone numbers and addresses and I'd hate to lose them but my phone is slow and I want to back up so I think restoring is best. Please advise! :eek: