Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I'd like to restore a Mac to its original settings as if it was store-bought where the person who buys it gets to enter their own info (name, address, etc), gets greeted with the welcome video, etc.? I tried Mroogle, but only suggestions I found was to drag stuff to Trash, which doesn't sound like what I'm trying to accomplish.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Im not sure, but to save you some time when someone comes in here to explain it. You will need the restore discs that came with the mac, I think there is an option for full restore if you boot from the disc but I dont know.

So.. go find the discs.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
don't boot up after you are done installing

It's not the end of the world. Once the Setup Assistant appears, you can press Cmd-Q and it'll give an option to shut down. The next boot will be just the same; the Setup Assistant will re-run.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
It's not the end of the world. Once the Setup Assistant appears, you can press Cmd-Q and it'll give an option to shut down. The next boot will be just the same; the Setup Assistant will re-run.

thank you for the info. i'll try it.

Arrandale

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
I'd like to restore a Mac to its original settings as if it was store-bought where the person who buys it gets to enter their own info (name, address, etc), gets greeted with the welcome video, etc.? I tried Mroogle, but only suggestions I found was to drag stuff to Trash, which doesn't sound like what I'm trying to accomplish.

put in the install disc that came with your mac and choose clean install

jmathews05

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Either I am a complete noob, or something is being left out. I inserted the restore disk, then shut down the computer, while i hit the power button I continued to hold down the "C" key. It asks me where I want to install OS X, I select the only hard drive i have, it goes through the entire process, about 46 mins worth. It says i need to restart the computer so I did and when it comes back on it's still my same old stuff. I want to get my computer back how it was from when I first took it out the box. Am i missing something, or do i need to earse the HD first, and if so, how do I go about doing that. (this is my first mac) Please help

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
when u hold down "C" it asks u where do u want to BOOT from select the dvd drive

edit:
wait it goes through the entire process ?
hmmm

jmathews05

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Maybe I am holding the C button too soon, maybe i should turn the comp on and wait a second or 2 before holding down the c button

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Reinstalling does not delete your existing applications or documents. You'll need to launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, erase the drive, then reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.