How can I restore Leopard to its original factory settings?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by definitive, Apr 5, 2010.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'd like to restore a Mac to its original settings as if it was store-bought where the person who buys it gets to enter their own info (name, address, etc), gets greeted with the welcome video, etc.? I tried Mroogle, but only suggestions I found was to drag stuff to Trash, which doesn't sound like what I'm trying to accomplish.

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Im not sure, but to save you some time when someone comes in here to explain it. You will need the restore discs that came with the mac, I think there is an option for full restore if you boot from the disc but I dont know.

So.. go find the discs.

3. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Do a clean reinstall of leopard (ie it deletes everything on your HD), and don't boot up after you are done installing (if that's possible)

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's not the end of the world. Once the Setup Assistant appears, you can press Cmd-Q and it'll give an option to shut down. The next boot will be just the same; the Setup Assistant will re-run.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

thank you for the info. i'll try it.

6. Arrandale macrumors regular

put in the install disc that came with your mac and choose clean install

7. jmathews05 macrumors newbie

Either I am a complete noob, or something is being left out. I inserted the restore disk, then shut down the computer, while i hit the power button I continued to hold down the "C" key. It asks me where I want to install OS X, I select the only hard drive i have, it goes through the entire process, about 46 mins worth. It says i need to restart the computer so I did and when it comes back on it's still my same old stuff. I want to get my computer back how it was from when I first took it out the box. Am i missing something, or do i need to earse the HD first, and if so, how do I go about doing that. (this is my first mac) Please help

8. funwithamar macrumors regular

when u hold down "C" it asks u where do u want to BOOT from select the dvd drive

edit:
    wait it goes through the entire process ?
    hmmm

9. jmathews05 macrumors newbie

I don't get that box, it just asks where do I want to install Mac OS X

10. jmathews05 macrumors newbie

Maybe I am holding the C button too soon, maybe i should turn the comp on and wait a second or 2 before holding down the c button

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Reinstalling does not delete your existing applications or documents. You'll need to launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, erase the drive, then reinstall.

12. funwithamar macrumors regular