How can I restore mail.app folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VelvetElegance, Aug 4, 2008.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

I recently had a HD failure and I am trying to restore using an online backup service. I backed up my entire Mail folder, so now I need to know what to do with the files that I have restored. Right now they are sitting on my desktop, but my guess is, I need to put them somewhere but I'm not sure where. can someone help me out??

Thanks..

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

So do I copy and paste all those files to that directory? What do I do with the existing files in that directory?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Assuming you haven't done anything with mail since you reinstalled. dele the contents of that folder and replace it with your backed up version.

5. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way I can save that old mail folder in case something goes wrong when I try to restore?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I just dragged that folder to the desktop, then I went to the finder window that I have my backup in. So I copied the contents of my backed up folder to my mail folder. Now what do I do?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

9. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

It just went from bad to worse.. When I opened the mail.app, the entire thing was empty. All the folders everything. I have to be doing something wrong, but I am not sure what it is. There should be a lot more there..