How can I restore my iphone 4 without upgrading to iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jincheker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jincheker macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone

I have a iphone 4 with iOS 6. And I wanna restore my iphone to factory settings. But every time when I click 'Restore iphone' from itunes, it will ask me to upgrade to iOS 7. But I don't want to use iOS 7 now.

I tried to click with 'option' key, but there is no any version selection options for me. Can anyone tell me what can I do to restore iOS 6? Thanks

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You need to have the SHSH saved.

3. jincheker thread starter macrumors newbie

My iphone is on iOS 6. I havent upgraded to 7 yet. I just want to restore the phone to factory setting

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Since you didn't mention anything about having a jailbroken phone, then my understanding is your only option is to install IOS 7 on your phone.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I personally find Apple's arm-strong tactic to update unAmerican.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

General-->Reset --> erase all.

More often than not it does the same good as a restore but without touching the iOS version

7. jincheker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I did that, it did the same job as restore :)

8. noil macrumors newbie

Can you tell me what this actually did once you pressed the "Erase All Contents and Settings" button.

What did the iPhone do when you pressed it? Did it go back to the select your language screen, wifi setup, and all the other screens? Or did it reboot the iPhone and just go to the lock screen with none of your purchased apps installed when unlocked?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It erases everything that wasn't in the phone when it was first bought, sans any upgrades to iOS.

So if you bought it running iOS 5 and upgraded last year to iOS 6 etc it keeps those changes but every setting you changed from the default, every account you added, every app, song, photo etc is gone.