How can I revert back to iOS 9?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by audirs5, Jun 22, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

I DL the beta, it was fun but buggy as expected and not worth keeping around.. How can I go back to the previous versions? I tried restoring from backup but my backup still started the phone on the new OS (even though I know for a fact i saved a full backup before going to this OS)

Thanks

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

You need to download iOS 9.3.2 ipsw file, and use "option + click 'check update'" in Mac or "shift + click 'check update'" in Windows to "update" back to iOS 9.3.2. Restoring from previous backup does not restore iOS.

3. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. profets macrumors 68040

You should also be able to put the phone into recovery, connect to iTunes and choose Restore.

5. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Yep. Just put it in recovery mode, hook to iTunes and your good to go

6. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

I suggest you restore instead of "Update" back to iOS 9, just for the simple fact that the Music app completely breaks in iOS 9. Something doesn't get 'downgraded' properly - it just flat out crashes to Springboard when you access your Playlists tab.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Sites like Ipsw.me can allow you To download officially released firmware.

8. Peepo macrumors 6502a

iTunes will automatically download it for you when recovering.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

just realized this. wish i saw this ahead of time lol. theres no fix?

10. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

The only fix for this music playback issue is clear everything and restart syncing.

11. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

well I'm in th process of restoring.. But doesn't that restore to the latest OS installed on my phone???

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are doing a restore from iTunes it will get the latest publicly released version for your device and install that.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ugh. I'd rather stay on the beta honestly. Restoring completely is torture on large capacity devices.

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

it also f up my iCloud Drive when I went back. like I couldn't enable documents, it kept telling me to enable it even tho it was and no app would backup to iCloud cuz it didn't get that documents and data was actually enabled

15. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Place iPhone in recovery mode. Restore with iTunes. Then when setting up phone use the iTunes backup you created. You should be back to normal in an hour.

16. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Before install iOS 10, I would backup using iTunes and archive that backup. Just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Only if that backup is on iOS 9. You cannot apply an iOS 10 backup to an iOS 9 device.

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I also downloaded the beta iOS 10 and noticed that's is buggy, but it is too good to resist since I love the Spanish - English dictionary for the keyboard. This is one feature I just love to and can't let go off.

I will keep the beta and hopefully beta2 will be released woo. To address the laginess.

19. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Actually yes you can. If it is an iTunes backup you can edit the plist to say that the backup is for iOS 9 and it will work. Like magic!

20. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I would wait until tomorrow and see if beta two fixes any issues first.

21. bwhitta macrumors regular

Can you please elaborate on this process? I searched around, but found no definitive direction.

22. mitchsaunders macrumors 6502

and keep waiting...

23. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

And wait patiently

24. 59psi macrumors newbie

So still waiting...

Anyone downgrade to 9.3.2 or 9.3.3 and have an Apple Watch that's already on watchOS3? Does the watch blow up or does it work???

25. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Certainly. First you need to find the iTunes backup, it is hidden. Open a Finder window, click the 'Go' menu, hold down the option key and a new listing called 'Library' should appear, click to open it. Navigate to Application Support > MobileSync > Backup. There should be a folder with a long string of character (this is your UDID) created on the date of your last backup. Open this folder and then open the Info.plist file. You should see a key called 'Product Version'. Double click the text 10.0 and replace it with 9.3.2 (the current public version). Then save the Info.plist file.

Next you can use iTunes to do a full restore of your phone. iTunes will automatically download and install iOS 9.3.2. Then use iTunes to setup your device and restore from the iTunes backup listed. It should work now that iTunes was tricked into thinking it was a 9.3.2 backup.

Any questions?