How can I revert to "Previous Systems"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keowee, Apr 6, 2008.

1. keowee macrumors member

I was having a problem and so reinstalled a system from the OSX DVD, saving the old one ("Previous Systems" folder was created). New instrall didn't help the problem I was having, so I would like to go back to the old system. How can I make the "Previous Systems" active, or restart with it?

Restoring with Time Machine will erase the entire volume, so I do not want to do it. Just start with the Previous Systems. Please help!

2. vniow macrumors G4

Can't do it. Its an incomplete system so there's not much of a chance it would boot anyway. Your best bet is to fix the problem you are having on your current system.

3. keowee thread starter macrumors member

What's the use of Previous Systems?

If we cannot revert to the Previous Systems, why is there such a choice? What's the use of saving "Previous Systems"????? I'm puzzled.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, when you setup your current system, if there's a previous system on there, even though you can't boot from it, there's enough information left there for Migration Assistant to reconfigure your current system with settings from your previous system.

5. vniow macrumors G4

I don't know the reason as was envisioned by Apple when they included it, but I can infer that its everything left over that wasn't replaced or transferred over to the new system when you do an archive and install. I've noticed when doing an A&I, OS X doesn't transfer any application which is already being installed by the new system, leaving the core OS X apps in the previous systems folder. I imagine everything else in that folder are remnants as well.

6. keowee thread starter macrumors member

No use to save old system?

Thank you for the info. So, there is no use to save old system, or archive and install? How odd to have the option that is useless!

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270