Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i'm going on a trip later this month for a couple weeks. Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, and maybe a little bit of Italy and Austria if i have the time.

One of my machines, the G4 450mhz, is only connected to the internet when i plug its ethernet into my powerbook twice a day (which is connected via Airport, its pretty handy actually). But since i will be gone for a couple weeks, i'd like to have this machine folding the entire time i am gone. I will be taking my powerbook with me and i'm not about to buy a 70ft ethernet cable to keep this thing connected to the internet for uploading/downloading WU's.

So is there any way to run more than 1 terminal "FAH4" script? I figure this machine usually takes just under a day to finish 1 Gromac WU, so if i can have 15+ instances of F@H running... that i could keep it busy, and then when i return - connect to the internet and submit all the work (most WU's deadlines are well over 14 days)

anyone?

the good thing is, this is a business trip - and will help fund my Sonnet 1.4ghz G4 upgrade card!!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've forgotten whether the limit is 4 or 8 at a time. The problem is that you don't have that many processors, so you'll just being stealing time from peter to run paul and nothing will get done.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
thats an interesting idea

u just need the -local switch and different machine id for each instance

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I have a 500' spool of ethernet cable at work and a ton of plugs (we have leftovers from our new LAN installation) I would make you a 70' cable and send it to you.

Papsomax

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2004
The max is 8 instances. You need to change your config file to machine 1, 2 3, etc. And you need to install the fah program in a separate directory.

hooah!

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
Sparky's said:
I have a 500' spool of ethernet cable at work and a ton of plugs (we have leftovers from our new LAN installation) I would make you a 70' cable and send it to you.

thanks but i have the multiple instances set up on the machine now.

bousozoku- yea it would take forever but thats the point. i'll be gone for 2 weeks and if i'd rather have 8 WU's done rather than 1 when i get back.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
There is a time limit when a WU must be done. So, for some you if the time limit has past, you don't get any points for them! For some, you still get some points for the effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.