Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddog91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I just need to run one program for a few hours, how can i do this? is there a free trial for the program, which i know is out there but i dont know the name

thanks again guys.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
You can run bootcamp which basically lets you choose which OS to boot into at the beginning. Or you can install VMWare Fusion or Parallels, which is software installed on to your mac OS which runs windows directly inside your mac OS. I personally use Fusion its real nice and fast.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
Don't forget VirtualBox which is free!!!

I had a bit of a problem with getting VirtualBox running at first, but I think it was related to the limited system memory on my 2011 MBA. Once it was up and running I had a problem getting the VB Additions to install. I had to manually pull the ISO out of the program (right click > Show package contents) then use DropBox to transfer it and Virtual Clone Drive to mount and install.

Now that it is running though it is quite stable and the VB Additions helps with transferring files between systems.

That all being said, I'd rather fork out the $46 for Parallels Desktop 7 and not have the frustration I had to deal with.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
OP if you need to run windows and osx at the same time, like having a window running windows on your osx desktop you need virtual box, parallels or vmware fusion

vmware and parallels cost money where virualbox is free

bootcamp is great if you want to choose windows or osx on the startup but you cant have windows programs and osx programs running beside eachother with bootcamp but if you can do what you need by running the 2 operating system seperate from each other its probably the best solution FYI bootcamp is also free

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
All of those programs will let you run Windows, but they don't include Windows. You have to pay for a copy of that too. Not cheap.

maddog91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
All i need is to run a simple app that is only windows compatible. Nothing heavy or fancy, and running it in the back while i do some mac work. Its a bot that generates stuff. So I want to just set it and forget..Best route for something simple? a lot of great options but I think most are geared for the heavy users.

----------

All of those programs will let you run Windows, but they don't include Windows. You have to pay for a copy of that too. Not cheap.

wow i did not think of that....Is there ANY other way to run a small app that i guess is windows made? guess not,right?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
All i need is to run a simple app that is only windows compatible. Nothing heavy or fancy, and running it in the back while i do some mac work. Its a bot that generates stuff. So I want to just set it and forget..Best route for something simple? a lot of great options but I think most are geared for the heavy users.

The bottom line is your Mac doesn't care if you want to run type a single keystroke in Notepad or develop databases in SQL Server - you still need

1. Bootcamp or VM software such as Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox. The latter one is free, the other two you should be able to get on a limited trial.

2. A copy of Windows

Since there's a free "preview" of Windows 8 out, as long as your bot will run on Windows 8, then you can do it free, for now anyway.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012

----------

wow i did not think of that....Is there ANY other way to run a small app that i guess is windows made? guess not,right?

If it's a rather simple application, you can try using Wine. It's a compatibility layer that allows Windows executables to run inside your OS X installation. It basically "translates" from the Windows dialect to the OS X dialect.

bradPiano

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Wine has worked well for me in the past. I've been able to install and run Internet Explorer as a Mac application.

Having said that, however, I would recommend Virtualbox. It's much more stable and faster running those Windows programs in a native environment. It's also much more convenient to run a virtual machine if you're reliant on both operating systems to get things done. You can install pretty much any version of Windows software pretty painlessly. If you have an old xp disc laying around or something, you're set.

MACza

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Use Bootcamp or VirtualBox. Free!

I had Parallels 6, but since Parallels want another $50 for Parallels 7 to work on Mountain Lion(Parallels 6 "does not work" on ML), I have just decided to remove Parallels and never use it again. I really don't feel like paying $50 every time a new version of Mac OSX is released, thank you very much!!

Very happy with VirtualBox now.

Further: What does your "bot" do? Is there no equivalent that will run on the Mac? Or maybe it is open source that can be compiled for Mac? Or maybe it can be coded in Perl/Python etc. that can run on your Mac?

Last edited:

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/

If you don't know what dual booting is, or even Machine Virtualization or Application porting, you're pretty much having a bad time.

Better read those guides first before you mess your Mac up. There is a "Small App" where you could put windows. That's VMware (Machine Virtualization).

This is the rank of possible choices on how to put windows on a Mac, from easiest to hardest:

-Machine Virtualization (VMware, Parallels)
-Dual Booting (Boot Camp)
-Application Porting (Wine, Cider Port)

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa

----------

The bottom line is your Mac doesn't care if you want to run type a single keystroke in Notepad or develop databases in SQL Server - you still need

1. Bootcamp or VM software such as Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox. The latter one is free, the other two you should be able to get on a limited trial.

2. A copy of Windows

Since there's a free "preview" of Windows 8 out, as long as your bot will run on Windows 8, then you can do it free, for now anyway.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

From what you quoted he said do some windows work while doing Mac work too. You cannot do that with bootcamp. That should be off the table for him now.

Personally I like my Parallels 7 but any of the virtual machines will work how you describe. Windows is a cost - but there is no real legal way around that.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Other than Bootcamp can the others run full screen?

Like when I maximise Safari so I can swipe to and from it to other full screen apps?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Other than Bootcamp can the others run full screen?

Like when I maximise Safari so I can swipe to and from it to other full screen apps?

Yes, VMs can be run in full screen, though it is probably differing from Safari or other Apple applications in fullscreen in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Or not.
Parallels Desktop: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27280.htm
VMWare Fusion: http://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-4/ind...UID-81DBEB72-C430-488C-BA66-3824AEFB000B.html

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Cool, is running in Bootcamp any more stable than through a parallels solution or is there no difference.

I would prefer the ease of Parallels or VM but want a solid platform with it.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Cool, is running in Bootcamp any more stable than through a parallels solution or is there no difference.

I would prefer the ease of Parallels or VM but want a solid platform with it.

No, if anything I hear more issues with BC than with VMWare or Parallels. I have never experienced an issue with Parallels 7 on my Air (4GB Ram). Runs like a champ. Full screen, or congruence mode is cool as well. It is much superior to BC for me (since I do not need access to my full Ram or Processor for the work I do in Windows)

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
No, if anything I hear more issues with BC than with VMWare or Parallels. I have never experienced an issue with Parallels 7 on my Air (4GB Ram). Runs like a champ. Full screen, or congruence mode is cool as well. It is much superior to BC for me (since I do not need access to my full Ram or Processor for the work I do in Windows)

Thanks, I have actually installed VMware on a trial to see how it goes. I dont need it for anything thats gonna drain resources or all that often so will see how that goes :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.