how can i save a bunch of mails at one time?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Folmanik, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Folmanik macrumors newbie

Iv'e just recieved a G4 from my sister and since he was in her position for about 3-4 years without been formatted I want to format it, unfortunettly this computer contains about 400 important emails and if i want to format the computer i must save them somehow,

I manage to understand how to save one at a time by checking him and hit "save as" but when i check all of the emails or even two it refuses to save.

the email program is "mail" of macintosh and to softeare is mac osx updated recently.

sorry for the ignorance i'm a first time user in mac.

thanks,
    adam.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Make a copy of a folder named Mail in the Home account's Library. All the emails should be stored there. :)

3. Folmanik thread starter macrumors newbie

iv'e lost u after copy :eek:

can u please explain how should i do it? where/what is this home account's library?

thanks.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open Finder, Click on the House icon on the left sidebar, then click on the Library folder. Now you'll see the Mail folder, make a copy of that folder.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry. Okay, open your Home folder, double click on the Library folder and then find a folder named Mail. This folder contains everything you want. Make a copy of it while Mail is closed and it should serve as a good backup for later use...

They don't call 'im swiftaw for nothin'! :D

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If this folder has only 400 e-mails in it, it should easily fit on a CDR. You can just put a blank CDR in the drive, when it pops up in Finder, you can drag that mail folder into it and hit the burn button.

Actually, while you're at it, see how big the entire home directory is. Open the hard drive from the desktop, then open the users folder, and then find the folder for her account. Select it and press Apple-I. If it's not too big, you might be able to burn the whole thing off to a CDR or DVDR (if you have a DVD recorder) and then you'll have her entire home directory, e-mail included.

7. Folmanik thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks alot!!

thank you very much, now help me format this mac ;)