How can I save the most battery, What do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by houssein31, Nov 10, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

Hello

Im new to laptops and battery, especially to macs and I wanted to know how I could save the most of my battery. I already have an iMac, so I only use my MBA a few times a day (not more then 30 minutes a day) and recently I've seen that my battery has been draining pretty quickly..I loose about 20% of power over-night, I just wanted to know how I could maximise the power usage on my mac (without shutting it down completely (I hate waiting for it to turn on))

I already know that I need to:

-turn off the Bluetooth
    -turn off the wifi
    -make sure that nothing is plugged in the mac (usb, sd card...)

But is they're something else I could do?

Thanks in Advance

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

Turn down the screen brightness.

The backlight is one of the biggest power hogs which is why one of the first things the Mac will do on battery power is to dim the screen.

Also, turn down/off the keyboard backlight. That's just wasted power in most situations.

3. dean1012 macrumors regular

As the previous poster said, backlight.

I've found I can use my laptop comfortably all day long at the 3rd brightness setting (three blocks from the left, if that makes sense). This increases my battery life immensely without making the laptop unusable.

There's also a setting to automatically turn off and on keyboard backlight but I forgot where. You should find it and enable that setting so it isn't needlessly lighting the keyboard all day long.

If you take those two steps, you shouldn't need to disable wifi, bluetooth, or anything else.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.