Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolffimages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
USA
Absolute beginner here. I am perplexed in trying to locate files created in pixaloop on my ipad. Id like to locate them to transfer them to another device. How do you access files created with an app?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well, typically from within the app. Some apps integrate with the Files app, so you can also get to the files from that. But typically you just open up the file within the app and use that app's share sheet to send it on or whatever you want

rolffimages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
USA
Well, typically from within the app. Some apps integrate with the Files app, so you can also get to the files from that. But typically you just open up the file within the app and use that app's share sheet to send it on or whatever you want

Thanks for your response. What if I want to move files as a group? I have multiple files to move. The app only lets me export one at a time.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for your response. What if I want to move files as a group? I have multiple files to move. The app only lets me export one at a time.

In general it's the responsibility of the app developer to add that functionality. There are APIs in iOS to make it extremely easy to support as a developer, but the responsibility is with the developer. If you integrate with the Files app so the files are accessible from it, you get the functionality "for free".

rolffimages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
USA
Hmm I wrote their support and asked about it. They seemed to imply there is a way to do it. So you are telling me if a way is not included with the app it might not be possible to move them as a group? Again sorry for my lack of understanding.
[doublepost=1549137707][/doublepost]Here is what they wrote.

"I'd recommend that you first save your Projects to your iOS Camera Roll and then export them wherever you'd like from there!"

I asked them how to do that but have not heard back yet.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hmm I wrote their support and asked about it. They seemed to imply there is a way to do it. So you are telling me if a way is not included with the app it might not be possible to move them as a group? Again sorry for my lack of understanding.
[doublepost=1549137707][/doublepost]Here is what they wrote.

"I'd recommend that you first save your Projects to your iOS Camera Roll and then export them wherever you'd like from there!"

I asked them how to do that but have not heard back yet.

The app needs to support it either implicitly or explicitly, yes - Implicit support essentially just means that they adopt a System API that gives the functionality to the app, but the code needs to be in the app.

Their suggestion is that you load each individual file up in the app, and through the share sheet "save photo" (or video or whatever it is) and then the file will be accessible through the Photos app, in which it is possible to select multiple files for sharing at once.
In essence what their support team is saying, is "we don't natively support multiple selections, but there is a workaround, which is to first share each individual file with the Photos app and use that to then share them all collectively".

iOS is sandboxed, which means that one app does not have access to the files of another app. There are some exceptions to this, but they all require explicit user input. The Files app and the camera roll are locations an app can access, both for storing and loading data, again, with user acceptance.

Your app is only able to store its data within its own container that isn't visible to any other app. The app does not support selecting multiple files at once, but you can select each file, share it with the Photos app, and from that container share multiple at once.

Sandboxing may initially seem limiting, but it's an important security feature and it's the reason we've never had to worry about virusses or malware on iOS. Even if there is an evil piece of software on the device, it is entirely locked into its own container, and can't mess up anything, so you just delete the app and there's no issue.
And in the hands of competent programmers, sandboxing really isn't a limitation either. The key is just "blind programming" so to speak. You write file access code that makes 0 assumptions. You know you only have access to your own sandbox, but the user may do something to try and get files into your sandbox and so on, and if you code it right, everything is possible. But it does require more work on the side of the developer

rolffimages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
USA
The app needs to support it either implicitly or explicitly, yes - Implicit support essentially just means that they adopt a System API that gives the functionality to the app, but the code needs to be in the app.

Their suggestion is that you load each individual file up in the app, and through the share sheet "save photo" (or video or whatever it is) and then the file will be accessible through the Photos app, in which it is possible to select multiple files for sharing at once.
In essence what their support team is saying, is "we don't natively support multiple selections, but there is a workaround, which is to first share each individual file with the Photos app and use that to then share them all collectively".

iOS is sandboxed, which means that one app does not have access to the files of another app. There are some exceptions to this, but they all require explicit user input. The Files app and the camera roll are locations an app can access, both for storing and loading data, again, with user acceptance.

Your app is only able to store its data within its own container that isn't visible to any other app. The app does not support selecting multiple files at once, but you can select each file, share it with the Photos app, and from that container share multiple at once.

Sandboxing may initially seem limiting, but it's an important security feature and it's the reason we've never had to worry about virusses or malware on iOS. Even if there is an evil piece of software on the device, it is entirely locked into its own container, and can't mess up anything, so you just delete the app and there's no issue.
And in the hands of competent programmers, sandboxing really isn't a limitation either. The key is just "blind programming" so to speak. You write file access code that makes 0 assumptions. You know you only have access to your own sandbox, but the user may do something to try and get files into your sandbox and so on, and if you code it right, everything is possible. But it does require more work on the side of the developer

Thank you for that explanation! You have filled in some blanks for me. Ok I guess I have to do them one at a time for now. Again thanks for that well explained answer!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you for that explanation! You have filled in some blanks for me. Ok I guess I have to do them one at a time for now. Again thanks for that well explained answer!

Hope you don't have hundreds of files ;)

And you're welcome :). I study computer science and write iOS apps as a hobby, so I'm fairly familiar with the development environment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.