How can I send a file over wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tekno, Apr 30, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

I'm downstairs on my Mac and my boyfriend is upstairs on his Mac. I want to send some videos to his Mac. We're both on the same wifi network.

There has to be an easy way to send the files to him but I'm stumped.

Laziness rules!

2. Pheo macrumors regular

3. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this. After looking (I had to walk upstairs to check!) my boyfriend's Mac doesn't have Airdrop, even though he's running 10.7. I think it may be because its a black MacBook from 2008-ish.

I may have to resort to a USB stick. So much for Macs working well together.

4. harlex macrumors member

You can use dropbox simple download with 5gigs free, put it on both and away you go

5. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

6. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Why can't you attach to him over the network?

My question is two-fold: since upgrading my laptop to SL, my Leopard G4 cannot see it anymore. (wired ethernet). I can still connect from my SL laptop TO the G4. (I had that problem long ago as well but it went away and I don't remember why)

Anyway, as long as you have file sharing turned on, you should be able to see each other. Better than downloading an app or signing up for something :)

7. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice idea but I just want to transfer a file between two Apple designed computers running Apple software routed through an Apple Airport., not spend 10mins signing-up to a cloud storage/sharing service I'll then never use again.

Surely Apple designers also want to transfer files and so must realise how unnecessarily tricky it is to do so over wifi (something the MBA relies on).

----------

File sharing turned on and in system prefs it says:

"Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://192.***.*.**/ or “Alan's MacBook Air”."

But it doesn't expain how to access it. We've looked in Spotlight, Googled, searched finder and put afp://192.***.*.**/ into Safari, but can't work out how to access the files.

I've used a USB stick now.

2012 and I still need some sort of disk to share files. Shocking.

8. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Did you look in network in the finder? That may need to be turned on in the prefs. I'd look to be sure but I'm not at a Mac right now. It really is easy and has been built into the OS for years. I'm surprised at all the third party comments as well.

9. diane143, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

diane143 macrumors 6502a

Btw you can also try "connect to server" (apple-k) and type in the IP of Alan's machine that you saw in the file sharing prefs.

<edit> This is bugging me enough that I had to log in here to find this: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330221-263.html

The only issue is that it does not mention Lion. I am also not running Lion on either of my machines yet so I don't know if things changed. I can't imagine they made it harder, as OS X made file sharing easier. Seriously, I bring my laptop into one of my jobs and just attach to the Windows server with no problem, same with the two machines I have at home.

But the article does give more detail on the Finder and Network pane (minus pix). Hopefully that gets you in the right direction and someone else may chime in.

I do hope this is not gone in Lion, as I depend on sharing between machines even when they are both sitting in front of me!

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, lots of unnecessary complexity here in the attempted answers.

In any Finder window, look in the sidebar on the left. See the section called "Shared"? Your boyfriend's computer will show up there (assuming it also has File Sharing turned on). Click on it, and you'll be presented with one or two folders on his computer that you can transfer files to without signing in (the Public Drop Box folder for his account). You can simply drag the files and drop them onto that folder and they'll be copied over the network into that folder. If you want to be more specific about where they end up, you can click Connect As at the top of the window to log in with a username/password for his computer and put them anywhere you want.

[​IMG]

jW

11. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Yes! That's what I was trying to explain, the pic helps so much. Which OS are you running? I did read up on Airdrop and found it's a Lion feature. Oddly enough, I have the Lion Missing Manual (even though I'm not running it yet) and looked for file sharing (on the iPhone no less, not an easy task) plus googled and it really doesn't talk about this method anymore. I've been using it for so long it's just second nature. I was beginning to think I had lost my mind. Please tell me this is still in Lion???? I will soon have a Lion machine and a Leopard machine as my G4 can't go any higher.

They make it sound like Airdrop waits for you to accept the file on the receiving end which is NOT better IMO when one's been doing drag and drop for years.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Bravo to you! You always understand the newbie. :D

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Thanks! I wish that were true.

jW