How can I send text messages from LTE iPad Pro ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, May 29, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

So I have a 9.7" LTE iPad Pro and would like to send and received text messages any way of doing this ?

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

What do you exactly mean? What happens if you go to the Messages app and write & send a text?

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

OP basically want to send regular SMS instead of iMessage through LTE iPad. But I Don't know if this is possible.

4. Rok73, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, of course it is possible. He mentioned that he has an LTE iPad, with an inserted SIM I assume. Turn off iMessage in Settings/Messages. Done.

5. ex android dan macrumors newbie

You can also setup Text Message Forwarding in your iPhone (if you have one) to allow the iPad (LTE or not) to send and receive SMS messages from your iPhone phone number.

I have an LTE iPad Pro with a data plan and it can't send text messages from a number other than my iPhone number. Those data only plans don't have that option. Just use text message forwarding and you're good to go.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You can send SMS from your iPad without an iPhone?

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think you can send SMS from the iPad directly: the messages app only supports iMessages and not from the iPP number

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Haha, too true. My bad. I actually have the iPhone and LTE iPad combo and am so used to it that I forgot the most obvious.

You can only send SMS from an iPad when the corresponding setting "Text message forwarding" on the iPhone is activated. OP didn't mention if he owns an iPhone, though.

9. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct just found this out. If everyone just used iMessage and had iPhone it would be no problem.

For the record I can text message my friends with iPhones. But not friends or staff who do not have IPhones.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I wish iPad Pro would receive text message from non Apple phone. :(

11. profets macrumors 68040

You can do this if you have an iPhone as well and turn on Text Message Forwarding (under Settings -> Messages). Regular text messages will be sent/received to other devices as well if you want (including Macs). I thought this was well known?

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That's odd I didn't know it was there and it was turned off. But thank you anyway.

13. loybond macrumors regular

You can also download one of the numerous free texting apps like Textplus or Textme, and they'll give you a normal US or Canadian number that you can text from. You can call and receive calls too, but you have to either watch ads or buy credits for that.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have one of those so I can give textplus number to strangers/friends. I can only give my iPhone number to my family members. Textplus is nice but hate ad pop up!

15. loybond macrumors regular

Yeah I love that we have these apps like Textplus. I've switched over to TextMe, it's a bit better.