How can I set a secondary screen for Preview, Front Row, iTunes etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jdh, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jdh macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I don't know if anyone can me help out on this, as I know many people got frustrated out of Mac OS X's very limited secondary screen options. I would like any application using full screen mode to do that on my secondary screen (a connected projector). For example when I do a slideshow with Preview it does it on my laptop screen instead of on the projector. Same with iTunes. I would like the visualizations to appear on the second screen. When watching a youtube-video, it'd be great to have the fullscreen appearing on the second screen while being able to keep on browsing on the first. FrontRow always opens on my primary screen.
    VLC player and Quicktime have an option in their preferences to change the screen for fullscreen mode.

Is there a solution to ALWAYS make ANY application use my second screen (if connected) for their fullscreen modes?

No, I don't want my second screen mirrored.
    No, I don't want to swap my two screens by putting the menu bar on the second in system preferences.
    There is a workaround for FrontRow by adding a line to the com.apple.frontrow file like this:
    defaults write com.apple.frontrow FrontRowUsePreferredDisplayID "screen ID"
    (where "screen ID" is replaced by the ID of the secondary screen) see: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6938343#6938343
    for more info.

Is there any similar solution for Preview, iTunes, or the Browser???

The problem with the above is, that if you connect a different secondary screen it won't work as that one probably gets a different ID. I am dreaming of a solution that would make any application use for fullscreen mode ANY secondary screen connected.

Am I too fastidious?

Thanks in advance,

JD

2. jdh thread starter macrumors newbie

that seems a rather tricky one ...
    nobody out there with a solution to my problem?