How Can I Set Up Keyboard Shortcut for "Spaces?"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Aug 16, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

It wasn't until I got my new MPB that I realized how much I use Spaces on a daily basis, when I had my whitebook.

I've set up Spaces on my new uMBP but can't find a way to "view all my spaces." You know, the overview look of spaces, when you can see all your spaces at a glance and click to switch on whichever space you wanna enter.

Well, I can't for the life of my figure out how to set up a keyboard shortcut for this. Back on my whitebook it was always set to F10, but looking at the new layout of buttons on the top row of the keyboard, there are some buttons I'd like to leaver untouched.

F1+F2: Screen brightness controls I'd like to leave untouch since they're obviously useful.

F3: This is Expose right? Giving me a view of all open windows. Well, can't I just do this already by moving 4 fingers downward on the trackpad? If that's the case, which I think it is I wouldn't mind assigning F3 a different shortcut, like Spaces. But how?

F4: Dashboard. On the whitebook it was always F12, guess it'll just take some getting used to.

F5+F6: Backlit keyboard dimmers, i'm fine leaving thouse as is.

F7-F12: Controls media with the back, play/pause, next button which I love & the sound controls which I don't mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In System Prefs. in Spaces I'll set "Activate Spaces" to F3 but still F3 will do Expose. I'm not sure how to change this.

& I have no idea what secondary mouse click or middle mouse button is...i'm guessing this has to do with mighty mouse? Me no have one, just using the trackpad..

2. t22design macrumors regular

Excuse my ignorance, but have you told Expose not to activate with F3?

I don't have a uMBP, but on my MB I can choose which key activates Expose, and which key activates Spaces. (Expose defaults to F9)

I can set Expose to '-', and Spaces to 'F9' and it works fine.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can't get this to work, hopefully the photos will explain my confusion on the matter.

Attached Files:

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Hold down the fn key while you hit F3, and your Spaces will open up. It's annoying, but it's the only way I've seen to do it.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh man, you're right, it's really annoying. fn & F3 are so far away from each other.

Looks like the best option I have is fn+F1, which still kinda sucks.

I guess my other option would be to devote a corner to spaces in expose...

..but who the hell uses expose?

I've never met a mac user that does...but, iono. Seems really easy to accidentally open up an expose corner when surfing the web and overall just using the computer.

6. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

what about choosing F3 as your spaces key, and following the directions here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8763.html

no idea if that'll work, but worth a shot maybe? it basically switches what you need to hold down Fn for...

and I do use Expose every day... I have hot corners for Dashboard, Desktop (Expose), All Windows (Expose), and Spaces

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thanks for the link, I just tried out what it suggested and though it does switch the settings so all defaults now work with the addition of pressing "fn", it still does not activate new settings, such as setting Spaces to open just using "F3" or so.

In regards to using Expose, my concern would be that it might be annoying accidentally going to a corner. Perhaps Expose is something that takes time to get used to, but anytime i've used it I notice during the middle of my workflow i'll accidentally go to a certain corner and "Desktop, All Windows, or Spaces will come up, right in the middle, annoying me. But again, may take getting used to.

8. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

You could always put Spaces on another function key. I have mine set to F8, like it was on the white Macbooks. This way, it's a two-handed input, which is much easier than the hand-contorting one you'd have to do for fn+F3.

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So you mean setting it to F8, yet still needing to push on "fn" utilizing 2 hands?

Not bad, but I really miss what I had going on my old whitebook, simply pushing F8. Honestly I don't care what "F#" I gotta push as long as it's only that one F# button.

10. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I agree it's not ideal, but I think we're stuck with it. At least, by keeping the function key used on the right, you don't have to torque your hand around quite so uncomfortably.

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I agree. I've just changed the setting for fn+F12. Oh well.

The new buttonless/muiti-touch trackpad is def. different from the whitebook i was used to. I guess it just takes some time to get used to.

12. dreamgood macrumors newbie

13. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Try out FunctionFlip. It allows you to change certain function keys to do their fn+F# functions without having to actually press the fn key.

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

That seems especially handy since System preferences only allows you to change the F-keys (normal or Fn+F-Key) on a global basis.

15. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I simply use F8. I have got tick box for 'Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys'

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

Right, but unchecked, that box does it for all Function keys, and the OP want's to leave the other keys as special function keys.

17. Slypr macrumors member

what about setting up a multitouch gesture with multicluch that preforms the fn+f12 combo for you