How Can I Share an Extended Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lancesquestions, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lancesquestions macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Currently I have a 2006 iMac 20" connected to a dell Display (1907FP) by a mini dvi adapter to the dvi cable that is plugged into the Dell display. The dell display has both a standard DVI port and a standard VGA port.

I am thinking of adding a Macbook Pro 17" to my arsenal. I would like to be able to have an extended display for my Macbook pro as well - preferably using either the Dell display I have currently or my iMac. I'm pretty sure I cannot use my iMac as an extended display since it is 2006. My question is: how do I use my current dell display with both my iMac and my MBP. It doesn't have to be at the same time, but I would like to be able to do it without having to unplug the display from my iMac and plug that into my laptop every time. I would like someway to leave it connected to my desktop and have an extra cable hanging around that I can simply plug into my laptop when I have it on my desk.

How do I do this? I would appreciate specifics. I live in Canada and everyone says you just do this and that and when I ask them exactly what I need to buy (brand, model etc... ) and where to buy it - no one can give me the answers.

Thanks

2. supermonk22 macrumors newbie

Your dell monitor should have a button on the front to switch inputs. Try hooking both your macs up to the monitor and hitting buttons until you find the one that switches sources.

If you don't want to randomly hit buttons till you get the right one I recommend looking in the manual that came with the monitor to find the correct button. Hope this helps

3. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Browsing the Canadian Apple store - http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1NDg

Mini DisplayPort to VGA. Plug the adaptor into the Mini DisplayPort outlet on the 17" MBP, then plug a VGA cable into the adaptor, and then plug the other end of the VGA cable into your monitor. Voila.

Use the input source switch button on the front of the Dell to switch between the DVI and VGA inputs.

4. lancesquestions thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - but I thought that the VGA port/cable doesn't produce a good quality picture?