How can I share an iTunes library between a Mac and a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaydub, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

First things first, I've looked at a lot of different tutorials, but most just explain how to move a library between platforms. My situation is that I have a portable HDD containing 160GB of music. I have set up the library on my Mac, but I'd like to be able to plug the HDD in on my work machine, which is a PC.

I could be crazy, but I seem to remember this working exactly as I explained above when iTunes v6 was being used. Now, it obviously just doesn't do anything with my iTunes library on the PC.

Any tips, ideas?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Make sure iTunes is same version on both computers.
    This works on different macs. Never tried on PC.

On the current computer with play list:
    With your drive connected, open iTunes set your library location to the external drive. Quit iTunes. Look for these 2 files and copy to external drive.
    - iTunes Library (itunes database file, no extension on the mac, you might have to change extension on the PC)
    - iTunes Music Library.xml

Connect external drive to new computer. Open itunes. Set library location to the same folder on the external drive as above step. Quit iTunes. Find 2 files on this computer and replace the 2 files from the external drive. Open iTunes again and it should work. (In the future just replace the 2 files BEFORE you open iTunes, no need to set library location if you already done it. Make sure you have your external drive mounted before opening iTunes.).

Every time you move your drive you need to take the 2 itunes library files with you.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you just want to be able to listen to your library on both computers, the easiest solution would be an 160 Gb iPod. You could plug it into your work computer and listen through your computer speakers.

I'm not sure how to make your hard drive work. To state the obvious, it would need to be formated in fat32.

4. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Yeah I've done this a couple times. The problem I run into is that there's a lot more involved with trying to copy 160gb into a iTunes library. If I allow iTunes to copy everything, it takes literally a day or two... that is, if it makes it without beachballing.

Well I currently have an 80GB iPod, so I'm going to try to whittle it down to a more manageable level, and only do iPod related stuff when I can use my Mac. I'm thinking that moving the library isn't going to work from what I've read.