Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I've recently decided its time to sort all my tv shows into iTunes so that I can access them easily in FrontRow. I've imported two seasons of a tv show and all the episodes are named correctly, numbered right, season info set up right etc. If I click the "TV Shows" section in iTunes I get two entries for my show, one for Season 1, one for Season 2. If I use Front Row, it simply gives me two entries for the tv show but I don't know what season it is until I click through.

Surely there must be a way to have TV Shows -> Series -> Season?

Otherwise this whole TV Shows thing will be useless to me since I'll end up having to scroll through loads of seasons for all my shows in one place on Front Row i.e. if I put all of my seasons of Enterprise and Stargate SG-1 then Front Row would show this under the TV Shows option:

Enterprise
Enterprise
Enterprise
Enterprise
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1

Which would be unusable because I have at least 10 series on here and in total at least 50 seasons, probably a lot more.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I've recently decided its time to sort all my tv shows into iTunes so that I can access them easily in FrontRow. I've imported two seasons of a tv show and all the episodes are named correctly, numbered right, season info set up right etc. If I click the "TV Shows" section in iTunes I get two entries for my show, one for Season 1, one for Season 2. If I use Front Row, it simply gives me two entries for the tv show but I don't know what season it is until I click through.

Surely there must be a way to have TV Shows -> Series -> Season?

Otherwise this whole TV Shows thing will be useless to me since I'll end up having to scroll through loads of seasons for all my shows in one place on Front Row i.e. if I put all of my seasons of Enterprise and Stargate SG-1 then Front Row would show this under the TV Shows option:

Enterprise
Enterprise
Enterprise
Enterprise
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1

Which would be unusable because I have at least 10 series on here and in total at least 50 seasons, probably a lot more.

Yeah I would like to fix this too

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm kind of confused by your explaination, perhaps a screen shot would help clarify, but do you have Season checked in your view options? if not go to View>View Options, and check season when you're in TV shows, but they should sort automatically with the seasons in order when sorted by show as long as the season # and episode # are in the info.

EDIT: Oh I see you're talking about in front row, well can't you just name the shows "Enterprise Season 1" instead of just "Enterprise"? I don't use front row so I'm not sure how to get this to work properly in front row.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I think this is just how leopard works, and its kinda unorganized to rename the show to Enterprise Season 1 or whatever because it will then look unorganized on an iPod or iPhone.

tandaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
I have a mac mini running 10.5.6, and I've found that it actually doesn't have to do with Leopard, it has to do with iTunes. Anything after iTunes 7.5 seems to have introduced this bug. I rolled iTunes back to 7.5, and it is now organized by TV Show, then by Season in Front Row.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I have a mac mini running 10.5.6, and I've found that it actually doesn't have to do with Leopard, it has to do with iTunes. Anything after iTunes 7.5 seems to have introduced this bug. I rolled iTunes back to 7.5, and it is now organized by TV Show, then by Season in Front Row.

It seems like a good idea to downgrade iTunes to an older version if you have a mini and are using it for a home theatre, but with my iMac, i want the current version of iTunes to allow me to have this feature, why won't Apple fix this? It's such a stupid mistake to make in the first place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.