How can I speed up my iMac g3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gjellyfish, Jul 13, 2009.

1. gjellyfish macrumors newbie

Not sure of the model-- it's blue, slot-loading, and has OS X but it seems to lag a tiny bit, though not as bad as one with OS 9. It mostly happens in Firefox. When I fill in fields in websites, the typing is really slow-- I type in my email address in a field and sit back and wait while the letters slowly appear on the screen one by one. It's frustrating.
    I found this computer lonely and abandoned and I managed to figure out the password, but I'm not an experienced Mac user and I'd like to know how to speed this mother up. Also, how do I even figure out which model it is? Please advise. Thank you :)

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Mactracker will tell you what model it is, and what the max RAM is, which would help speed it up a little bit if you maxed it out.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

1. Put as much RAM in it as you can afford, or as much as it can take, whichever comes first.
    2. Put in a bigger, faster hard disk. It's amazing how much difference this can make.
    3. Install an adblocker and flashblocker in FireFox. Your iMac will not handle flash well, and any little bit can make it slow to a crawl.

These three simple things should help you stretch the useful life of your iMac out a bit longer!

Side Note: To those who will invariably say to just get a new computer because an iMac G3 is obsolete, a computer is never obsolete until it fails to do what the user needs :)

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

How about making it go a wicked fast 9.8mpsps ?

pac

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Excellent advice for ANY older mac.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL

Back OT, a "Blue" iMac slot-loading is on the G3 400 - 500 MHz range, with around 1 GB RAM max.
    All in all, it's never going to be a fast Mac.

Get the 1 GB (PC 100 or PC 133), a 7200 rpm HD and put Mac OS X 10.4.x on it. It'll do okay.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

Check if your model had the option to have a CPU transplant, like those offered by Sonnet or other makers. They could be available as used somewhere.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not worth it, IMO. processor upgrades rarely give good price/performance.

9. MTI macrumors 65816

I agree with that observation when they were new . . . but we're several years down the road from "new."

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

11. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Max the RAM
    Largest HDD you can get
    and install os 9 lol