How can I speed up my Macbook at startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SuperSnake2012, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I have one of the Rev A Macbooks (specs in sig). I upgraded the hard drive to a 160GB 5400rpm drive and have 2 gigs of RAM. Even though my computer is pretty beefy, the computer is pretty slow to start up. If I try to open any apps right after the computer boots up, it will beach ball. The computer is not normal for 2-3 minutes, then everything works normally. I'm only using about half of the HD so I don't know why it's being slow. This only happens when the computer comes out of a cold boot. I always put my computer to sleep, so this doesn't happen very often.

I'm running OS X 10.5.1.

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I suppose you could put an SSD in there.

But how often do you boot it? I reboot mine every time an update requires it. And that's it. I do that when I'm on the phone or something.

3. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I only re-boot it when I have to install system updates or my computer acts weird (which might be once a month), but I would still like to resolve this problem :p

4. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

2-3 minutes? Wow thats a long time... Has it always been that slow? or did it just recently start doing that?

5. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Recently... I installed this hard drive in June and it was okay... it may be related to the Leopard install I did (upgrade instead of fresh install). That may fix it, but I don't feel like re-installing all my apps. :rolleyes:

6. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

We both have the same computer, and I've been noticing this lately, too. I have a CD 2GHz MB with 2GB RAM, and an upgraded 7200 RPM 160GB HDD.

My boot-ups were about a 50 seconds when I first got my computer. I upgraded to 2 gigs of RAM, and my bootup was about 30 seconds... Nowadays, it takes about two minutes to boot up. Ugh.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

8. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Do you have any 3rd party software loading at boot time?

Go to System Pref. > Accounts > (Your account) > Login Items.

Anything suspicious in there? Poorly written 3rd party software or perhaps a bloated antivirus prog.? Try uninstalling those and see if your performance improves.

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Don't really need to uninstall them, just take note what they are and remove them... Thats a good suggestion.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

hehe.. antivirus, I didn't see that til after I submitted.

11. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only two things in there... iScrobbler (for Last.fm) and Connect360 (streams my iTunes to my Xbox 360)... I've tried repairing permissions before, that didn't do anything. I have a little more than 71GB free on the HD.

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Try download and running the Onyx program I mentioned above.