How can i start learning to develop apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Twoody96, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Twoody96 macrumors newbie

Hi im Tom, im 16 and i've recently started programming using a very useful website, http://www.codecademy.com/.

It's given me a basic knowledge on how programming in general works, however because i have only recently started learning how to code, i only know how to write in HTML, CSS and i've just began learning Javascript.

Now i know apps are written in Objective C and i have a very, very basic knowledge on Objective C as i had gone to an app developer's business for my work experience. Where is the best place to start learning how to develop apps? Seeming as i'm young should i start from the bottom and work my way up? By this i mean learn several other programming languages such as Java or C related languages and then turn to Objective-C or should i jump into Objective C straight away?

Also are there any books or other tools i should buy to learn the language?

I'm very interested in computer programming as a whole, it is where i'd like to work when i'm older, im taking a computing course soon which lasts for 2 years and then i hope to go to university to enroll on a Computer Science course aswell. So i believe i have the motivation, i just need to know where to start!

Thank you in advance :)

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Be sure to check out the guides and stickies at the top of this very forum.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

First off, I'm nearing the end of my BS in Computer Engineering course. I've talked with a lot of people who have gotten their degrees in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Physics. I'll state the fairly obvious first: people with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Physics don't work on as many programming tasks as those with the other two degrees.

The next observation I'm sharing may only apply to Northeastern University's programs, but it seems to me that Computer Science majors are EXTREMELY web focused. People who get a degree in CS come out knowing Python, Ruby, JavaScript, SQL, etc. People who get degrees in Computer Engineering, on the other hand, learn about embedded, mobile, and desktop programming. They learn C, C++, C#, MIPS assembly (not a practical language to learn, but it gives a ton of insight into how the insides of a computer work), and Java.

I don't regret choosing to get a CE over the other options, but I do wish I'd taken more CS classes, just to broaden my resume and the companies I can apply to.

Now on to something more helpful to you right now:

Obj-C is a superset of C. All valid C code is valid Obj-C code. So I would suggest learning C first. This is the free resource I often endorse:

http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

4. Twoody96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Im from the UK so i think, correct me if i'm wrong but the course is a little different over here. Even if it isn't it still opens up job opportunities for me in the programming area which is ultimately where i want to be! In an ideal state of mind i'd love to be in IOS development, developing apps and stuff! But im hoping a CS degree will help me pick up languages fairly easily anyway. Hopefully even before i reach University i'll already know Objective-C so after the 3 years at uni i will know Objective-C plus the knowledge from the degree itself and who knows i may end up with my own business developing all sorts of stuff!

With regards to learning C, i'll definitely look into the link you've given me but would you recommend buying the C programming language book everyone goes on about?

5. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Just like every US author and journalist should own a copy of Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style", every programmer who learns C should own a copy of the Kerrigan and Ritchie C book.

They are the creators of the language, and the book is quite well written, and makes both an excellent learning book as well as a good reference.