How can I stop my Apple Remote controlling both AppleTV and my iMac at same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WizardHunt, Feb 3, 2010.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I have this annoying problem with my iMac in the same room as my Apple TV and whenever I use my Apple TV Remote, it also turns on a movie on my iMac and that bugs me. Sure I could turn down the sound so I don't hear it but that does not solve the problem.

Is there a way to pair these remotes, I have one for my iMac and 1 for my ATV, and whenever I play something on my ATV it also starts a movie on my apple, usually a different movie. Can they be paired separately somehow so they are controlling only the unit they are suppose to be with?

If so how do I pair them separately? Anybody?

2. IMSAI8080 macrumors newbie

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

That did not help me as much as doing a search on the internet. This is what I found out:

If you're like me, then you have multiple Macs with IR sensors in the same room. What happens when you push the menu button on your Apple remote? Chances are it will launch Front Row on every Mac in the room. I had this problem until I discovered Apple remote pairing.

To pair your remote with a specific Mac or Apple TV, just hold down the menu and the next (fast forward) buttons for 5 seconds making sure you're within 5 inches of the IR sensor on the device.

I did that on each of my devices after unpairing both of them and now each remote operates each item separately and I will no longer have that problem of one running the other. Finally no more headaches.

4. Bill Lind macrumors newbie

this is the easy way
    Go to Security in System Preferences.app, then select Disable remote control infrared receiver at the bottom.