How can I stream video from my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrushyHillGuide, Apr 30, 2011.

1. BrushyHillGuide macrumors newbie

I'm getting married in 2 months and most of my family, including my mom, won't be able to attend because they live in Germany. So, I'm curious if there's a way that I can stream video of the ceremony from my 2011 MBP 15"?

I have a Canon camcorder but, because it only has a HDMI out (not a FireWire) port, it seems that using it will be problematic. At least according to what I could find through Google. Are there good webcams that will give good resolution that would be better and easier to use? I just can't imagine that the built-in web cam will be suitable for streaming my wedding and I don't want someone carrying my laptop around backwards and trying to cover the wedding, lol!

Obviously, I'm a total 'noob' to all this (Mac included) and I'm hoping some of you Mac gurus can set me on a path to making this happen! I could sure use some advice!

Ideally, I would like for someone to be able to manipulate a camera to follow my fiancé as she walks down the isle and zoom in a little on us as we do our vows. Also, there's the issue of getting the sound- any suggestions on how I do that? Do I need to buy a separate microphone?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this- I couldn't find a more appropriate section, though!

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Why not just rig up a mic (if you can) on the cam and upload the delayed footage? Having an open MBP possessively following you around during the most important day of your lives is probably not a good idea.

To have a quality live feed would be a more complex affair and likely to be more costly (extra equipment, good and reliable connectivity, coordination, risks etc.) but that's just a possible solution spinning in my head.

Without intending to give other sites a plug, I'd recommend you posing the same question at www.avforums.com.

Nice idea but whichever solution you go for, try to hand the responsibility to somebody capable. I think you already have enough on your plate. :D

All the best.

3. BrushyHillGuide thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm trying to AVOID is having to use the MBP camera because I don't want the laptop moving around. ALL I want to stream is the actual 15-20 minutes of the ceremony. So, I thought, if I used a separate camera (camcorder or maybe a usb webcam) and a long (16 foot) usb cable, I could put the laptop off to one side and just have someone manipulate the camera for those few minutes without it being a big pain.

I guess I'll just get a Logitech webcam and give it a try with skype

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why not record it in high quality then send it to them after you've finished filming?

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

You should look into creating a Ustream channel that is private and they can log into.

There's also Justin.tv as an alternative.