How can I switch in/out of a fullscreen application without disrupting it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jborkdugan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Jborkdugan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for a way or third-part application that will allow me to switch in or out of a Fullscreen application without quitting or manually exiting out of fullscreen of that current application.

For example, if I'm playing a game in fullscreen and I want to google something about the game, I've got to save and quit my game, go into safari, and google it, then reopen my game.

Even if I can toggle fullscreen on and off in certain fullscreen applications, it is still a hassle.

Is there an application like spaces or something that will allow me to quickly switch out of, or simply shove aside my fullscreen app to access my desktop, dock, and finder, without quitting the application or exiting fullscreen, and then allowing me to quickly switch back into it?

Thanks

JBD

2. henchosbandito macrumors member

hey, try pressing command+tab. If you hold command and tap tab, you can cycle through all open applications

3. Jborkdugan thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't work....Most fullscreen programs override things like expose, spaces, and the command-tab function..

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I use command-Tab when playing fullscreen games all the time, so I wouldn't say "most".

What game is it? Does the game maybe have a "windowed mode" that you could use? That usually makes switching back and forth easier.

5. bridgerboy macrumors newbie

What about command-h? I use that one quite a bit.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

+1. Works for me fine on Doom 3, when I just want to quickly look at a new iFire message.

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

I've noticed that with Flash and Unity programs. However, one reason I like COD 4 on Macs is that I am able to cycle in and out of the game with cmd-tab. :cool: DVD Player stays in fullscreen when you switch apps as well. :)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most app's I've used in full-screen allow for expose and command-tab