How can I sync the music I put onto an external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oxband, Jul 6, 2011.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I'm trying to combine two itunes collections on a new HD. I backed up my entire computer AND I also copied the folder "iTunes Music" from the other computer on the hard drive.

How can I safely integrate the music from the "iTunes Music" folder to the backup I have of my computer on the external HD?

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Your post is a little ambiguous. Are 1) both already integrated on your computer so you want the same on your HD, or 2) are they not integrated on your computer and you want to update the HD without integrating them?

If 1), you could just do a new backup and toss the two old ones. If 2), you could find the location of your music library in the backup, then move over the separate "iTunes music" content manually. This might be a little tedious, depending on whether there's any overlap in content so you have to decide what to move and not, but otherwise it should work fine.

Maybe I'm missing something here, or misunderstood your question...

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

I backed up my girl friend's computer to an external HD. I want to merge my itunes library with hers. I copied to the same drive, in a separate folder not integrtred into the backup of her computer, my entire itunes library. Now, I'm not sure how to integrate the two...