How Can I Take a Snapshot of Current Settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TSP Tech, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TSP Tech macrumors newbie

I am a tech but new to working on Mac computers. Is it possible to take a snapshot of the users current settings and files to be restored at a later point? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. sportster macrumors 6502

I've used Time Machine to restore my iMac when I had an idiot no-no moment on my computer.

You only issue with multiple computers is each would need a drive to back up to. I have read people setting Time Machine up on a shared network drive to. But, I do not have any experience with that.

4. TSP Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

His version is definitely before 10.5. His machine is 6 or 7 years old and I don't have the machine here I am working remotely and he has it off right now. So the only way to restore would be an external clone or backup?

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes, a clone would work best. Or you just copy the user folder via Finder, called Home Directory and located in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU and that would at least save the personal data and preferences and settings and mail and so on. The applications (programs) are stored inside Macintosh HD / Applications and need to be copied separately if one uses Finder.
    CarbonCopyCloner provides versions for Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3 and for 10.4 and 10.5. and 10.6. (http://www.bombich.com/download.html)
    10.3 should be the release on the friend's machine, if he didn't update to a newer version, which could be up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which includes Time Machine.

6. TSP Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks you have given me alot of good information.