How can I "take" files from my mac via iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shdwkillr, Dec 16, 2009.

1. shdwkillr macrumors member

I am actually looking for an app/method where I can browse files/music/movies in my mac over the wifi, then to download it into my iphone to view/listen/watch it..

Is there such app/method in doing so? I am not looking for remote desktop method, aka VNC as it will be very dependent on connection speed..

2. fastgraham macrumors member

file to iphone

you could always email a file to yourself from your computer, view it through the iphone email program.

3. shdwkillr thread starter macrumors member

I don't want it to work in that way man.. that will be way much troublesome.. especially if I want to watch a movie that is stored in my mac and it will be good if I can transfer it over to my iphone via wifi..

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

For local playback, maybe you should try using apache?

I wouldn't put your media out for the internet to see, so don't forward port 80 to the computer with your router or anything unless you've put some kind of password protection on accessing the apache server.

The directory listings would be perfect for browsing files, and you could stream audio/video to your phone from it provided its the right format (no AVI, only mpg/mp4)

you wouldnt be able to "take" files from the mac and put them on your phone, per se, but you would be able to stream the media. Like I said, arrange a password protection for the directory and you could even stream over 3g. You can google more about how to set apache up but its pretty simple and if you have a mac, its already under the hood and just needs to be turned on. Otherwise, its open source and readily available on all major platforms.

5. shdwkillr thread starter macrumors member

Do you mind elaborating more on this apache coz I don't really have the background on doing these setups.. Thank you in advanced..

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My suggestion is this:

Get a Dropbox account. (2 GB free, you can pay for more if you want to.) Sign up online and download the software for your Mac and instal that. Then download the Dropbox iPhone app.

Now you can access anything in your Dropbox folder on your Mac right from your Dropbox app on your iPhone.

That's part 1.

Part 2 is to get the 'Remote Tap' app on your iPhone. That will let you see and control your Mac from your iPhone. So you would log on to your Mac using that and copy any file you wanted to into your Dropbox folder (on your Mac). In just a minute or so you'll be able to then see that file in your Dropbox app on your phone.

You do have to keep your Dropbox folder clean to keep it from filling up, but the advantage here is you won't have to be at home. Dropbox works anywhere you can talk to the internet. Remote tap works over wifi by default but you can configure it to work over the internet too.

If you can get that set up you'll have a much more useful system than you originally asked for. If your iPhone has ANY kind of internet then you have access to ANY file on your Mac!

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Take a look at Orb and Simplify Media in the app store.

If you have to have it stored locally on your phone, look at Air Sharing.

8. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You can always watch it live over wifi (or 3G with 3Gunrestrictor) with AirVideo +iWol to wake up your computer.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would suggest trying LogMeIn instead of Remote Tap.

LogMeIn on the computer is free. The iPhone app is $30.

But there is almost zero configuration regardless of your network set up. And LogMeIn works great over WiFi or 3G.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If you need remote desktop access, it's one thing, but there are far better apps out there for accessing media.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Understand.

I thought that Small White Car's suggestion was an interesting approach.

Just wanted to provide LogMeIn as an alternative to Remote Tap.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Ah, I see. I thought you were suggesting logmein as a method of accessing media.

What types of media can the dropbox app play? Wouldn't it also be quite restrictive to have to download a couple hundred megabyte (or more) movie file (especially over 3g) before you could watch it?

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Definitely not.

I use LogMeIn to administer a wide variety of computers. Works great.

However, when I tried to watch a video it was really bad. Almost to the point of painful! :)

There web site doesn't say. I would assume, and I know that's dangerous to do, that DropBox would play any type of media that the iPhone OS supports.

Personally, I use FileMagnet. It works great on local WiFi network. Just bring the app up on your computer, start the app on the iPhone, then drop any file on the desktop version and it is transfered to the iPhone. Unfortunately, you need to be on the same WiFi network for it to work.

DropBox seems to provide a nice way to do this on the go.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's much less dangerous since both the service and the app are free.

He should just try it and see if it works.

I certainly haven't tested everything, but in my experience I've found that if the iPhone's Mail app can play it then the Dropbox app can too.

Also, I haven't done much with movies but I can confirm that MP3s start playing before they've fully downloaded. So you don't have to wait for the whole file before you start listening to it.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

So...you want an AppleTV App for your iPhone? ;)