How can i take issues to the moderator?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iphonejudy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iphonejudy macrumors 6502

iphonejudy

How can i take issues to the moderator?

Any email id?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Use either the [​IMG] button if it is related to a post, or the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you want to contact a moderator you could use the methods in this thread. It's stickied at the top of this forum. So at the time of writing is amusingly right on top of this thread.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be honest you're running into problems with other members because you only come here to ask questions and never help solve other peoples problems.

This is an online forum and its people don't like it if you just take advice from the other members without returning the favour.

EDIT: And frankly a lot of the problems are pretty basic developers questions, maybe you need to read up with a book on Cocoa or by reading through people's existing posts.

5. iphonejudy thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonejudy

I need to unsuscribe from this forum.May i know,what are the things,i need to do?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no idea what you have and haven't posted, so I'm not commenting.

If you don't want to be here any more you don't need to get accounts deleted. Just simply don't come back and log in.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Generally speaking you just stop logging in. If you have specific reasons for wanting your user ID removed completely then you need to PM one of the Administrators. You can find a list of the Administrators by following the link in my previous post and clicking the link in 2) (or just click here)...

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

No, the problem is when people ask elementary questions that clearly reveal they've done no work, and then expect others to simply provide the answer. I don't normally care if someone ever reciprocates help, as long as, when they ask for help, they demonstrate a modicum of intelligence, show that they've given it some thought, and show a basic understanding and comprehension when they are given answers.

Sometimes these threads remind me of chatting with ELIZA:

"How do I do X?"
    "You do X by doing A."
    "I don't know how to do A."
    "Look on Google for how to do A."
    "I cannot find on Google how to do A. Can you do it for me?"

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do feel that if someone has made 170 posts (which at, say 5 posts/question is 35 questions) asking for programming help, they should reciprocate. This isn't a poster asking a few questions and not providing any answers, or someone making 170 posts of questions and then participating in other parts of the forum as an equal.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

:(
    Unfortunately the iPhone Programming forums seem to have attracted a lot of questions from people who seem to believe that they have a right to free answers to their questions, no matter how badly worded or inane, without providing any answers of their own or contributing in any way. These people frequently ignore the rules and conventions of the forums by posting the same question over and over, posting unrelated questions in existing threads and then take offence when their "skills" are questioned or they are pointed at the documentation for answers. They want the code written for them, right now, for free and without question.

The sooner that those of us who have been providing answers only answer reasonable questions that are asked in detail about specifics in code (with the code provided) and simply point all the generic questions at the documentation the better as this is how the quality of discussion in that forum will improve (in my opinion).

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I didn't realise this was a general trend. And some of these should be cleared up by the mods which brings us back around to the lack of moderators thread :(.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Dude, that's because the iPhone is going to MAKE ME RICH! All I have to do is code up this awesome app and put it in the app store, and I'm going to start making thousands of dollars! Easiest money ever!

... except, I don't really know how to program. Can you show me?

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's what I hate about the app store...one person makes half a million off a fart app and now every kid thinks they can write one and make a ton of money, except they have no knowledge of programming whatsoever and rely on Google and forums like MR to write the app for them piece by piece.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's not how it works?

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, lets say NOBODY asked X and A questions on forums before. When said person Google's, what would they find? Nothing right? Because nobody asked how to do it. So if everybody Googled and not asked questions on forums, Google would be useless because it wouldn't be able to find the forums where those questions are answered.

And isn't asking questions and getting answers the main reason for forums?

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes and no. Forums are great for asking questions, absolutely. But some questions get asked over and over again. The first few times, you can excuse it -- maybe the desired search results got lost in a sea of other posts -- but you quickly determine the difference between someone who didn't find a post when they searched, and someone who simply never searches before they post questions.

And to answer the first part of your question, Google searches will find all kinds of things that don't come from forums -- websites, manuals, tech specs, reviews. The first "red flag" that someone isn't doing their homework is when they ask questions that can easily be answered with a web search (say, "what colors does the iPod shuffle come in?") If it's an obscure search, that's fine. But sometimes people ask very, very obvious questions. The first time or two, you can give them the benefit of the doubt -- maybe they've never actually used a search engine? But over and over again, it gets tiresome.

17. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Question: How does any of this relate to the original question at hand?? Who cares WHY she wants to talk to a Admin.?!?!??!? Just tell her HOW and be done with it. Why does everyone want to pick fights?!? and if that is NOT what you were going for, then you sure fooled me!

Not to mention, there might be a reason WHY someone does not contribute but starts threads asking questions.. maybe.. just maybe.. they know nothing about the phone or forum, and need to ask REAL people who currently USE the phone or forum on how to use it... google isnt the answer to everything..

Now, I have not looked at the posts or threads that this thread starter has posted, but, reguardless... it really shouldnt matter why they are asking questions.. I thought this forum was to HELP people.. not discourage them or start drama with them.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Fear not the question was answered in the first, and second reply.

Not to mention that pointing out that members might be having trouble with others because they are perceived as takers is actually constructive criticism.

19. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I saw that it was.. but when I read the other replies.. it just errked me. Some people just dont know anything about the issues and questions relating to the forum or the products the forum is referring to, so they ask.. if they dont know the answer to any of the questions asked on here, then HOW do they answer anyone else's questions?? Just like my Mom for example.. She knows NOTHING about iphones, Mac's, Apple or this forum.. and if she bought an iPhone, and got on here and asked questions about it, and never answered anyones threads, would she be marked as a social outcast because of it??

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm sure people would be more than happy to help out. And she could reciprocate by supplying knowledge as she learnt and participated in the community in other ways besides technological know-how. She'd only be a social outcast if she continually asked questions without contributing anything. You only get out of a community what you put in. Everyone has something to contribute from viewpoints to anecdotes to observations to suggestions.

However if your mother came here to learn iphone programming and get help in making her app (which she wanted to do to make money for herself) without contributing to the forums you could excuse people for becoming resistant in providing such info.

21. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Pot, meet kettle.

So, without having the first idea about what transpired, you jump on an unrelated soapbox? That, and your drama irk me. ;)

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1. That and opening up a 4-month old thread. ;)

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL I just noticed!
    The girl needs to realize that not only were the OP's questions answered, they're also part of the forum faq's. :D

24. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I stated my opinon.. so what? What irks me is when people start drama with someone because they asked a question.. ie: why they are asking the question... anyway.. whatever..

Im done. the replies that I get on here.. even when starting my own thread about a matter, makes me want to never log in again. People are SO RUDE.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you find us (particularly me) being rude there are numerous ways to handle it:
    A. Use the Report Button
    B. Contact the Member - plenty of people have IMd me to ask further questions or to ask what I was saying and none of them have ever said anything on the side of "I'm blocking you because you are too rude."
    C. Block the User via Buddy List
    D. Just Don't Log In

A lot of the lack of niceness iThink can be traced back to the fact that issues are covered numerous times and a lot of times people seem to be coming here with an agenda, but still ask questions, trying to get users to agree with them and then when there is a difference of opinion, things start to go downhill.