How can I tell if an Adobe update is legitimate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PCtoMAC1, May 10, 2017.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

So I clicked on settings and Adobe flash. I'm getting a pop up that states a newer version is available. How I can I be sure this isn't the Adobe clone that was around????

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Open system preferences, click on Flash Player, and then check for updates there. That way you can be sure it's legitimate.

3. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

Thank you!

4. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

Always GET updates, never accept updates thrown at you.

An unfair exception is HandBrake which was said to be contaminated itself during 1st week of May.
    So, a small delay after announcements is also recommended before you download.
    ;JOOP!

5. dwig macrumors 6502

I NEVER EVER update Adobe Flash Player from my browser's plugin page or from ANY dialog that wants me to click to update. I always go to Adobe's site manually, using a browser that defaults to not use the player, and download it from there. Also, I generally wait a day to two before updating when practical.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

If you updated within the app you were safe:

"Downloads via the applications built-in updater with 1.0 and later are unaffected. These are verified by a DSA Signature and will not install if they don't pass."

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36364
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    Updating from within your browser (does any browser still allow that?) or the Flash Preferences is probably the safest way to update.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It's not just a matter of "the Adobe clone that was around" - 'Flash' updates are one of the top vectors for adware infection, day in and day out, from many sources.

Yes, checking for updates in the Flash system preference is a fine way to check. Another is to go to the official developer's web site (and be sure it really is their site). Flash, as well as Microsoft Silverlight, offer 'check version' features at their sites, in addition to the downloads.

As others have said, don't trust a pop-up. It's not that all pop-ups are frauds, but an ounce of caution...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member