Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ma1nstr3am

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
How Can I Tell if I Have an Official Apple Lightning Cable & Charging Wall Block? :confused:

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Lots are close, nearly identical. But this is one way to tell a fake from a genuine. The real lightning cable (right) does not have a third indentation on the USB plug like the knock off on the left.

6fqob8.jpg

Last edited:

ma1nstr3am

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Awesome, thank you. Now we just need a response for the fake lightnings and I'm set.

paulyeo

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Lots are close, nearly identical. But this is one way to tell a fake from a genuine. The real lightning cable (top) does not have a third indentation on the USB plug like the knock off on the bottom.

my fake one doesn't have a third indentation on the USB plug.

the way i find if its real or fake is looking for the 'Design by California' imprint. you can easily rub off the print on a fake one.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Used to be that the genuine Apple USB cables would have the Apple logo on the opposite side from the USB symbol. Not sure if they still do that. The lightening end of the cable is oval-shaped, not perfectly square on the white part. Third party cables are usually square.

The USB power adapters will say "Designed by Apple in California" and often "Made in Japan" but not always I think. The US ones will have two prongs of equal size.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Used to be that the genuine Apple USB cables would have the Apple logo on the opposite side from the USB symbol. Not sure if they still do that. The lightening end of the cable is oval-shaped, not perfectly square on the white part. Third party cables are usually square.

The USB power adapters will say "Designed by Apple in California" and often "Made in Japan" but not always I think. The US ones will have two prongs of equal size.

Thanks for nailing down how to identify an official Apple cable.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Thanks for nailing down how to identify an official Apple cable.

Sorry I didn't have my own cable on hand to closely examine it.

They apparently removed the Apple logo at some point. My USB adapter says Apple Japan as well as made in china. The white around the lightening end if the cable is rounded as previously stated. I have observed that a lot of third party cables are more square. We all know Apple has a thing for rounded corners :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.