How can i tell if Lion was clean installed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sirolway, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I'm embarrassed to ask this but I can't remember if I clean installed Lion on my mid-2009 13" MBP - is there any easy way to tell?

It's getting a little glitchy (freezing for a while on wake) so I'm inclined to wipe it & start with a clean install ... perhaps put an SSD in as well

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When you installed Lion did you reformat (or repartition) the drive or did you just boot up into Snow Leopard, and start the Lion install?

The default install is upgrade, so unless you do anything markedly different you don't have a clean install

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Ask him (the Lion)!

4. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's exactly the point - I can't remember ...

I was wondering if (for example) the upgrade process left any trace on the system - e.g. a "broken apps" folder or something ....

5. HandySam macrumors member

Look into your wallpapers. If you still have default Snow Leopard wallpapers next to the Lion ones then it was an upgrade. ;)

6. Bear, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

Bear macrumors G3

Have you tried installing the 10.7.3 Combo update? This can fix issues that the point updates cause because they missed stuff.

As for whether it was a clean install or not... go to System Preferences -> Software Update and check to see if it lists any updates before Lion was installed under "Installed Software"? I don't know if Lion resets that list when you do an upgrade, I do know previous versions of OS X didn't reset the list when upgrading.

7. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm good idea - can anyone name some Snow Leopard (non Lion) wallpapers so I can see if I have them on my system?...

----------

I think it *does* reset the installed software list as our iMac only has 10.7.1 onwards listed as well, & I'm pretty sure that was an upgrade ...

So good die, but I suspect that's not telling me what I need to know.
    Installing the combo update could be a good ida, although I'm inclined to get an SSD & do a clean install instead

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I never had snow leopard but did it have a snow leopard wallpaper like lion has a lion wallpaper? That might help

9. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Well System Prefs > Desktop & Screen Saver > Apple / Desktop Pictures does have a Lion wallpaper.

And System Prefs > Desktop & Screen Saver > Apple / Nature does have a Snow Leopard wallpaper, which is making me think I upgraded, but it would be good to have something definitive.

Surely there's a text file tucked away somewhere I can get at via the Terminal that will tell me the OS history ...?

10. HandySam macrumors member

Do you have this wallpaper? If yes, then it was an upgrade.

11. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! Yes I do!
    That's it then - I upgraded.

Thought I probably had, but wanted to be absolutely sure if I'm going to go through the hassle of a clean install. Yes, Apple makes it (oh so) easy to backup & restore via Time Machine, but I'm a bit more paranoid than that, requiring multiple backups etc

Thanks all - usual patience, knowledge & detail that makes this the best forum by far, for anything