How can I tell if my Macbook is dropping CPU speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tharris0101, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tharris0101 macrumors member

So my 4 year old macbook has a logic board problem where it no longer detects the battery. The battery indicator just shows an "x". So basically it works fine but it has to be plugged in all the time.

My question is: I've heard that if a Macbook does not have a battery in it and is just running off of AC power, it will cut the CPU speed in half in order to cut the power consumption. I want to see if this is true or not. I have ordered a new MBP but I was going to sell this computer for my friend for very cheap, but I need to make sure its not actually running at 1ghz, cause I'd feel bad about selling him something like that. The computer is perfect otherwise.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that is what I read that made me start this thread. The battery is still in the laptop, but I don't know if it is dropping the CPU power because it may think the battery isn't there. My question is: Is there an app or something that will show me the current running clock speed of my computer? I seem to remember something like this a while back when I was having heating issues with the computer. It would tell you when the computer was clocking back the processor. I just can't find it with google anymore.

4. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member