How can i tell if my replacement was a refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Tos, Jul 8, 2011.

1. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I recently had my iphone4 replaced just shy of the 1 year warrenty. I asked if it was a refurb and the genius said no that it was new.... how can i tell for sure? the serial number starts with J9.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Any and all replacements are refurbished iPhones.

3. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

4. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Source?

You may be right, but according to the Apple 'Geniuses' that I have dealt with claim they could be new or refurb.

Also, if they are all refurb what about replacements that happen the day after a product launches?

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

What about the very first person who brings their phone in because of problems? How do they get a refurbished iPhone?

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Okay, maybe not any and all.

Taken from the warranty: http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/iphone.pdf

"If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product."

Even if you did get a refurb, you most likely will not be able to tell the difference. Whatever was wrong with that particular model before has been resolved and will be 'like' new.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ones that dont pass the initial test at the factory will get "refurbished" to working condition

8. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

If the replacement serial begins with 5K, it is a refurb. If it begins with a 6, 7, or 8, they are BRAND NEW, NEVER used phones....please don't ask how I know...

9. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Dumbest post ever....

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Their policy is to replace faulty units under warranty with refurb ones.
    Offcourse they will tell you its brand new but they're not.
    Unless the product just released and there were no iphones yet that have gone thru the refurb process and send back to stores for replacements. Then you will get a new phone or under certain exceptions where you have got multiple replacement with issues etc....

11. millsy macrumors member

In all honesty, what does it matter? These refurb units go through a strict policy of checks. You aren't giving the company back a new unit so why should a customer's expectations be set to receive a new device? If it's outside of the return policy you should always expect a refurb and if you happen to receive a new device just be thankful and move on.