how can i tell if...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LuvKaya, Jan 7, 2010.

1. LuvKaya macrumors member

if a macbook is stolen or not...

and if i buy a new macbook and i find out later its stolen what happens...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your macbook goes missing when you don't expect it to, that's a fairly good indicator.

Assuming you filed a police report and you have some way of knowing where it is, you'll have two macbooks if it's recovered.

Use a lojack program like UnderCover if you're worried; it works very well.

3. LuvKaya thread starter macrumors member

hehehehe.

no. i mean when purchasing a new macbook. if i buy from a seller off of craigslist and find out later its stolen. does it void the warranty?

4. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I think LuvKaya is concerned about buying a macbook that is suspected to have been stolen (Stolen Property)...

You could check the serial number with Apple (Some people register their products and some stores take down information of the original buyer). Depending on which country you live in the laws about purchasing stolen property differ. But in general and in most countries stolen property can be seized by the police as evidence and eventually returned to its rightful owner.

My recommendation to you: where there's doubt there's no doubt at all... buy legitimately and you won't ever have to worry.

5. LuvKaya thread starter macrumors member

a seller is trying to sell me a brand new macbook for 700 sealed new in the box. he says he has a hp and he received it as a gift for xmas. so he is selling the macbook. he doesnt want to transfer the files and stuff.

6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i would be very careful. deals that seem too good usually are and might be a scam or the goods may be stolen.

My recommendation is to purchase from a known good store. ebay is also a good place to find apple stuff but always research the seller and check their feedback.