How can I tell?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teeforb, Dec 29, 2007.

1. teeforb macrumors member

How can I tell if airport is in B, G, or Draft N wireless and 10, 100, or 1G bit Ethernet connections? I have a MacBook!!!

Thanks!!!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What MacBook do you have (when was it purchased)?

Any MacBook with a Core2Duo processor has a draft-N airport card and a gigabit ethernet port. Before that, MacBook included a 802.11g card with gigabit ethernet.

3. teeforb thread starter macrumors member

It's the new one. I purchased it a few months ago. The black one. I just got a DLink 655 router and I can not tell which mode the MacBook is in.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Go to Apple Menu==>About this Mac, if it says Core Duo then you have a wireless g card, and giga (1000) bit ethernet. If it says Core 2 Duo you have a wireless n card, and giga (1000) bit ethernet.

5. teeforb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I guess I worded my question wrong. My MacBook does support Draft N and 1Gigbit Ethernet. I want to know how can I tell if it is running in either Draft N, G, or B mode while running wireless or 10, 100, or 1Gigabit mode when running wired.

Sorry for the confusion!!!

Thanks!!!

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It runs on all modes. It will run at the highest speed of the hardware it is connected to. Thus, if it connects to a G network it will run at G speed, if it connected to an N network it will run at N speed, etc.

Edit: Also note that your internet speed is more than likely slower than a B,G, and N speeds, so your internet speed will be the same no matter which network mode you run. The only difference will be the speed in which computers on your network can transfer data between each other.

7. teeforb thread starter macrumors member

But how can I tell?

For example, the 655 router mentioned that if I was to run WEP, then it will only run B, and G wireless and not N. Therefore, if I would have never came across that, I would be would not know that my system is not running in Draft N mode while using WEP. Therefore, I would like to know from my MacBook what mode I am running in to make sure.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, but how can you tell if you're connected at b, g, or n? ...or 10/100/1000 ethernet?
    I've been looking and I can't find it anywhere.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Me neither, looked in the two obvious places, System Prefs->Network and System Profiler and didn't see anything

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Network Utility in the Utilities folder should give you the link speed.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For ethernet (en0) at least, entering ifconfig in terminal will tell you the current speed. For example, for me it says:
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active

EDIT:
    Fine, do it the easy way. :D

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wouldn't run WEP, its broken, WPA security is far more secure, and it has less problems.

13. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think the only way to tell would be to check the specs of the router you're on. Sorry but I can't help you otherwise. Out of curiosity, why do you need to know?

14. teeforb thread starter macrumors member

Just to make sure I am getting my moneys worth from my book and router, LOL. Even if technically, I am not getting more throughput using the Draft N or Gigabit Ethernet, I wanna still be using it if I paid for it.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, did you read the thread? There're a couple of ways of finding it out. :)