How can I test my G4's Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Aug 4, 2014.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I bought an iMac G4 a while back (in my signature). It has a Wifi/Bluetooth card in it. The Wifi was pretty spotty if I wasn't in the same room as the router.

I recently found an older Microsoft Bluetooth mouse at my mom's. I paired it with my MBP and it works great. When I tried pairing it with the iMac (which is where I really wanted to use it) I cannot get them to find each other.

This is the only Bluetooth device I have, other than my iPhone. I tried pairing iPhone and iMac and they couldn't find each other either.

Could this be an issue where the devices just aren't compatible or could there be something wrong with the Wifi/Bluetooth card? System Profiler shows both are installed so I'm not missing anything.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Bluetooth and WiFi are not on the same card in G4 iMacs. Are you sure your iMac has Bluetooth in it?

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Here's what System Profiler says.

As far as system performance goes, would Bluetooth or USB be best? I like not messing with wires and don't mind the batteries, but since having Bluetooth on on both my iMac and MBP it seems to hang up every now and then for about a second. Maybe it's just me.

Attached Files:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That iMac does have Bluetooth in it. Could it be that the mouse won't work with the iMac's older Bluetooth 1.X? It should still see it at least. Are you sure you put the mouse in discoverable mode? If you didn't, the iMac won't see it.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I held down the button on the bottom for a while. That's the same process I did when I paired it with my MBP and it connected with no issues. I guess the only way to really test is to use a bluetooth device. Maybe I'll look for an older MightyMouse on the cheap before buying one. That one should be compatible with the iMac.