How can I to keep him away from my wifi connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joylmm, May 13, 2014.

1. joylmm macrumors newbie

I had created a strong wifi with My WIFI Router,but my neighbor alway connect to it,how can I to keep him away from my wifi connection?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you use WPA2 with a strong password?

Depending on your network, you can mask out his MAC address and stop transmitting your SSID?

Try turning it off when you're not using it (its a pain I know but you can be sure he's not on it).

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

What type of router do you have? Are you setting up WPA2 security? Have you changed the default admin password on your router as well? If someone has physical access to your router they can plug in via LAN and change your settings if you don't change the admin password.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Set up security on the router. A good WPA 2 Personal security password is best!

If you stop transmitting your SSID, then it is just a nuisance for you. It is like taping over the numbers on your mailbox. Completely useless for most and a nuisance for the people who legitimately need to use the network!

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

MAC filter (black list will prevent certain devices from connecting, whitelist will allow only specified devices to connect), change the IP range, set up WPA2 authentication with a long, complex password, hide the SSID. If your neighbor is STILL hacking into your WiFi (at this point it IS hacking), have a chat with them and encourage them to stop and that if they don't stop you'll press charges on theft of services

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

MAC Filters are useless to anyone with basic networking knowledge and the same to hiding the SSID. Securing with WPA2 is the best method for home users.

7. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Have you tried talking to him? Like in the good old days when people would do so without Facebook?

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

WPA2 with a long, random, complex passphrase and a long, random, complex SSID is the best way to do it.

MAC filtering and hiding the SSID are like signs on your door saying not to come in. WPA2 is the lock. The passphrase is the key.

9. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I think you should disconnect your Wifi router, cancel your broadband, cancel your phone and turned off all electric appliances. Not only will you be safe from your Wifi stealing neighbor, but also from Chinese hackers and identity thiefs. Get off the grid man, it's not worth it!

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

However, if there are other networks in the area that don't employ those techniques it makes those more likely to get attacked. In my case, I see no fewer than 4 other networks that are actually broadcasting.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you have 5GHz WiFi shut off the 2.4GHz WiFi.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

True. But if this guy is more than a dirtbag not wanting to pay an Internet bill it is easily circumvented. Just stating the facts here...

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Live under a rock in the wilderness.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

There's another way to deal with it. The OP has the offender's MAC address. Set him up with a DHCP address reservation, then throttle the bandwidth for that IP to less than dial-up. He may still use the internet but we won't use much data.

Now, securing your computers from him would be a whole other situation.

15. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I like the idea of just blocking his Mac address and using an extra-complex password. Also change the SSID and hide it. Also ensure your Firewall is enabled on all your computers as an extra precaution.

Rob

16. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Next thread:

"I just build this new big great house, and I didn't bother to install any locks in my doors. My neighbor comes in and steals my beer every time I go to work. What do I do to keep my neighbor from stealing my beer??"

17. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Grow a beard, and a beard on the beard as well.

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Hehe my avatar