How can I transfer edited epubs from iPad to Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aoitsukinosuke, Mar 19, 2012.

1. aoitsukinosuke macrumors regular

Hope I'm posting this at the right place.

I put some business related secondary books in epub format on my iPad. I read them in iBooks during my travels and do a lot of highlighting/underlining for later usage.

Problem is; after I'm done with my work on the books, I need to get those highlighted paragraphs or sentences in their relevant Word files on my Mac.

Is there any way of transferring the marked epubs from the iPad to the Mac Mini?
    I can't do anything via iTunes folder because my settings are for manual handling of media files, therefore they are not stored in the iTunes folder in my Mac.

I've done some research over the net, but I couldn't come up with a firm solution.

Can anybody give me a suggestion please?

Thanks in advance,
    Aoi

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's possible that the edits are not done directly to the ePub and are stored in a secondary file causing added difficulty.

3. aoitsukinosuke thread starter macrumors regular

Brand - you gave me a new issue to check. And spot on! You're right.
    Thanks man!

After doing some more search, I came up with the following;
    1) You can actually export notes with 3rd party apps. But, you need one app to extract the plist file from the iPad and then another to put the file in the same folder as the original on the Mac. Still, the highlights are not embedded and I need to copy/paste again.

2) iBooks - You can tap contents icon next to the library icon and then tap notes. Now, you'll see a continuous list of the highlights you've made and then email/print icon at the top right. You are jumping with joy thinking you can email your highlights to yourself. Keep dreaming.

YOU CAN'T.
    You can only email notes and not highlights. Why do they torture you by letting you see what you worked on but can't do zilch about it? Beats me.

The only solution, and if you can call it one, is to highlight it in iBooks, then copy/paste it as a note AND THEN email to yourself. Brilliant!

I'll go with number 2 option momentarily.
    Epubs that need a lot of highlighting will need to be taken care of with the Mac Mini, whereas those of minimal annotation capacity will stay on the iPad.

That's all I can pull so far.
    If anyone has a different/better solution, I'm definitely all ears.

Hope this helps.
    Aoi

PS= IMHO, Tim Cook should be more focused on motivating his people to solve the users' problems before addressing the dividend issue. After all, we are the ones generating the money in the first place. Amen.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just out of curiousity, what programs are you using on the Mac to highlight and annotate ePubs?

Also, where are you getting your ePub files from? If they don't have DRM, they can be used with apps other than iBooks, which means you can search the app store and see if other ePub readers have note-taking functions that suit your needs better.

Even if they are DRM'd, someone recently released a DRM removing method for iBooks, which means all major ePub DRMs can be removed.

5. aoitsukinosuke thread starter macrumors regular

Night Spring - Thanks for your time.

None. Stanza and Adobe Digital don't have it. Calibre is too dumb for my taste and messes up my default folder locations everytime by creating a folder which happens to have the same name with my own. I could have easily changed the name but I don't like software that "creates" by itself. So I don't deal with it unless I really really have to.

I convert my epubs into PDFs with Stanza and use Adobe Acrobat Pro to annotate. Then, I copy/paste my notes to relevant docs.

As I said, I create my own usually. Others, I swap with friends or get them thru forums.

I searched and all I could come up with was iAnnotate. Doesn't help a bit and way too crappy. I'd welcome any suggestions that you might have.

Never had a DRM issue. I do not "sync" them to iBooks. I use an app called USB Disk to transfer to my iPad and then open them with iTunes. Worked like a charm till now. Could be my luck.

Just in case I run into trouble in the future, can you also give details/link to the a/m DRM moving method please?